What is clutch "Slip" i think its happening to me

Started by Danny T, August 15, 2008, 05:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

BY the way just made the SWITCHAROOO

ok anyway, i always hear talk about clutch slip and i think its happening to me. when i am in a higher gear for example fourth, i try to downshift and i can't unless i release the handle about 75 percent of the way, i then hear a CLICK and then i re-engauge the clutch lever and now i am able to downshift.
What is the problem i am having? Do i need to fibers as i read about earlier? Clutch fork? i am very new to this so any help is appreciated.
By the way i am running Royal Purple 10w40 but this also happened when running amsoil and yamalube.

side note, this site is so much faster than ahem ahem. ive went thru like 100 topics at record speeds!

machelis

I have to do the same thing when going into reverse about 50% of the time. Same with going into first.

shookie

2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Bert

dmx434343
Last summer my Raptor didn't want to downshift, I had to shift several times for each gear, usually after I  stopped. It always downshifted with multiple attempts for each gear & didn't grind or make any noises. Upshifting was fine.  Does this sound familiar?

Bert

Quote from: machelis on August 15, 2008, 05:24:31 PM
I have to do the same thing when going into reverse about 50% of the time. Same with going into first.
Quote from: shookie on August 15, 2008, 05:27:01 PM
I have that problem to
Shifting into reverse & 1st the tranny is going to do this due to its design.  The "stacked" design takes up less space & that is what Yamaha wanted  :lol:

Danny T

Quote from: Bert on August 15, 2008, 07:43:50 PM
dmx434343
Last summer my Raptor didn't want to downshift, I had to shift several times for each gear, usually after I  stopped. It always downshifted with multiple attempts for each gear & didn't grind or make any noises. Upshifting was fine.  Does this sound familiar?

Yup, upshifting is always fine, downshifting took multiple attempts.... so annoying! Doesn't always happen but when it does i get a bit irrate.

Bert

Quote from: dmx434343 on August 16, 2008, 08:46:39 AM
Quote from: Bert on August 15, 2008, 07:43:50 PM
dmx434343

Yup, upshifting is always fine, downshifting took multiple attempts.... so annoying! Doesn't always happen but when it does i get a bit irrate.
The only thing wrong with my quad was a spring came unhooked.

Warren

are you trying to downshift after you have stopped or do you try downshirting while still coasting. on my raptor if i try to downshift from a high gear while stopped i have to let the clutch out a little then pull it back and shift. so i always try to downshift while i'm coasting.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Bert

Quote from: warren on August 17, 2008, 08:06:16 AM
are you trying to downshift after you have stopped or do you try downshirting while still coasting. on my raptor if i try to downshift from a high gear while stopped i have to let the clutch out a little then pull it back and shift. so i always try to downshift while i'm coasting.
Excellent point Warren - My Raptor didn't want to  downshift when I was moving, it was a mechanical issue.

dmx434343 - like Warren said if your riding in 3rd & stop and the transmission resists down shifts unless you rock the quad front to back or release the clutch a little to help engagement this is "Normal" operation.

Danny T

ok guys thanks for the clearification, now that i think about it, it usually only happens when im stopped. I have a bad habbit of letting it coast and then try and downshift when im stopped. Guess i will do it while slowing from now on.

pdxmatt

Mine does the same thing. If I stop in second and then downshift, it will only go to neutral. If I want to get into first I have to let the clutch out in neutral most of the way till something clicks and then I can go to first.

makeyourselfsick00

I've got the same problem, cept my shifting was fine prior to the new trans gears. When you guys try to downshift, it feels like your at the bottom of the shift sequence?

thatguy

i thought when your clutches began to start sliiping you can feel the delay of power and the big sound differance(not loudness) it makes in the begining of the gear your in

SanDbUm

KILLIN VENOM BUILDS 1 DAY AT A TIME.

07 YFZ ITS FAST

PDX Raptor

Quote from: thatguy on September 17, 2008, 09:07:52 PM
i thought when your clutches began to start sliiping you can feel the delay of power and the big sound differance(not loudness) it makes in the begining of the gear your in
When mine started slipping it would be when I was in gear under heavy thottle at high rpms. I don't know about any sound difference  :confused: The engine would start to "rev free". Meaning rpms would climb fast without the same power gains.
Charlie