Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 2005 FJR 1300 ABS  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
Re: 2005 FJR 1300 ABS
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
I'm whoring my own post  :lol:
Picked up the bike yesterday & rode it home, 210 miles.
Went for a spin today & rode 180 miles.
Planning a ride tomorrow afternoon & Thursday - 350 miles.

The bike simply has too much power.  Not a ton of fun driving the speed limit (55mph)
Although 90 mph feels nice  :)
Not a lot of curvy roads locally either so I will need to take bigger loops to find the twisties. 

If I start getting speeding tickets I'll sell the bike  :(

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
I'm whoring my own post  :lol:
Picked up the bike yesterday & rode it home, 210 miles.
Went for a spin today & rode 180 miles.
Planning a ride tomorrow afternoon & Thursday - 350 miles.

The bike simply has too much power.  Not a ton of fun driving the speed limit (55mph)
Although 90 mph feels nice  :)
Not a lot of curvy roads locally either so I will need to take bigger loops to find the twisties. 

If I start getting speeding tickets I'll sell the bike  :(

you did not get the autoclutch version, did you? Pics? What do you think as far as comfort, and in town rideability? I am sure I will bug you more,I am looking at the same bike. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 06:28:28 AM »
'05 FJR 1300A ABS  (manual shifting  :) )
6300 miles
$8100
Included Joe Rocket jacket, boots, HJC helmet, Yamaha gloves, bag liners, dust cover,  cleaning supplies, leather cleaner & conditioner, buffer & wax, oil filter wrench, & full tank of gas. A great package deal as all the gear fits  :thumbs:

No pics yet, I've washed it twice. Sadly bike washing will be a regular activity, darn bugs.

My butt gets sore & my hands tingle & go numb after 40 miles, throttle hand is the worst.  I'm attributing the numbness to Ninja grip, IDK.  Stainless steel bar ends (heavy) claim to help reduce vibration at highway speeds. I might try those after a few weeks of riding if the problem persists.

I'd say the comfort is there I just need to find it.  Remember I'm a rookie to cycles so I'm probably doing something wrong.  I felt a vibration at 90 this morning on the way home & then I had to turn so..... more testing is needed.  The front tire is cupping a little so that makes sense  ???

In town the bike is very docile & the torque is excellent in 5th @ 30mph.  With a redine of 9,000 you can feel the HP kick in around 7,000 rpm's & then things happen very fast  :lol:

44 mpg when I drove it home & 42 mpg on yesterdays ride

70 or 75 is a good cruisn' speed & its easier for me to maintain that throttle position vs 60mph,  I need to pick up a crusie control device or something.  Looking at a 2" taller wind sheild & 1.25" bar risers that also bring the bars back a little.  Make it feel more touring vs sport bike since my work commutes are 60 mph cruises.  I've got a long ways to go in learning to ride. 

Peels - fire away with any questions, it will surely help me learn more  :thumbs:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 09:16:27 AM »
very nice write-up. FJR was your first bike-damn! Does it feel big and heavy?  That is my only worry. I like it when they feel agile, not bulky(ie: Harley) Like a brick with tires. FJR or BMW seems they will bridge the gap between sportbike youth and old age cruising/touring.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline BRAD

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Constant Victim of Grammar Ninja
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »
those FJRs are mice bikes. dad was lookin at one before he bought his Kawai Vulcan
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
very nice write-up. FJR was your first bike-damn! Does it feel big and heavy?  That is my only worry. I like it when they feel agile, not bulky(ie: Harley) Like a brick with tires. FJR or BMW seems they will bridge the gap between sportbike youth and old age cruising/touring.
I don't think it feels big & I weighed the bike at work last night, 600 lbs.
My buddy rides an 08 Suzuki SV 650, he did some hot laps in town & then some 150+ mph runs & he was impressed with the bikes handling & silky smooth power delivery.   

I have nothing to compare to so .... guy I bought it from called it a geezer rocket  :lol:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »
geezer rocket!!! :rofl:

actually pretty accurate. Kinda what I am shopping for. I want more comfort, easier riding, but I don't want to give up all my speed.

The fjr will destroy the bmw by the way. BMW leans more toward touring as opposed to sport.  Absolutely reliable though. Boxer twin air cooled 100hp. Does the job. Yamaha wins in the power dept...as usual. :thumbs:

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »

actually pretty accurate. Kinda what I am shopping for. I want more comfort, easier riding, but I don't want to give up all my speed.

The fjr will destroy the bmw by the way. BMW leans more toward touring as opposed to sport.  Absolutely reliable though. Boxer twin air cooled 100hp. Does the job. Yamaha wins in the power dept...as usual. :thumbs:
I'd like to ride a BMW, I bet the 100HP is still a fun ride  :)

If I was Yamaha I'd release a bike with the 700R motor in it  ???

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »

I'd like to ride a BMW, I bet the 100HP is still a fun ride  :)

If I was Yamaha I'd release a bike with the 700R motor in it  ???

Europe has a supermoto with the 700 in it, I think? That is where the 660 was born...in a dirtbike.

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »

I believe the older FJR'S are just as fast as the new hayabusas

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
i heard from a guy at a shop in my town that the new fjr's are turds and are very uncomfortable  ???

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2008, 06:28:49 AM »
i heard from a guy at a shop in my town that the new fjr's are turds and are very uncomfortable  ???
I can't say since mine is a 2005.  You can get the "A" or "AE", the "AE" is push button shifting, no clutch.  I heard the " AE's " are dogs as far as performance goes because the trannies (auto shift) won't hold up & the bikes have been corked up as a result, again that's hearsay.  I've never owned a bike before this but I believe the FJR is pretty damn quick, 80 mph in 2nd & 120 in 3rd.  Not bad for a 5 speed bike  :)

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
I've had the bike for a week now & put on over 1,000 miles  :jaw:

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
I've had the bike for a week now & put on over 1,000 miles  :jaw:
:jaw:

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »
I can't beleive they added up so fast  :)