Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: blown BB head gasket, options?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Duane

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
blown BB head gasket, options?
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Well, I blew my big bore head gasket and have her torn down, looks like I was leaking at the rear wwater ports and the ports between the cylinder and timing chain. Have scoring on the rear portion of the cylinder liner and metal pushed up over the oil control rings. I did over heat the engine but it still ran. So piston is toast and liner is too. So wondering what some options are since I have been out of the Raptor Mod scene for a while. Looks like parts are getting cheaper so am here to ask what are some avenues I can go down, to help save money but do the repairs correctly.

Here's what I have for parts,

105.5mm bored liner, scored
105.5mm piston 10.75 comp (toast)
stock cyliner, stock size but out of round
stock piston, worn skirts (so probably no good)
11.5 comp JE piston, mics good.

I realize listing some parts are useless, but items like liners are good info (resleeve?)

Not looking to maximize power, just put it back together to ride, but the idea of throwing a stroker crank with another BB kit in is tempting, but don't feel like spliting the case if I don't have to.

Another thing, when I did the previous BB kit, the liner looks like the gasket surface was sandblasted, thinking I should of had a nice smooth surface. ANy input on this.

I'll check the head for warping using a straight edge and also put some emory down on a slab a marble and clean up the surface, but was thinking that maybe I should of down that with the BB liner too, to maximize surface contact.

And yes, new head bolts are in order too.

Thanks for any help or input,
Duane
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer
other toy 66 2 door post Nova, LS1/4l60e, in progress

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: blown BB head gasket, options?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
Duane,

Call John at Racer's Edge and order the SCE BigBore copper gasket, but first....

Is the Cylinder sleeve level with the the top of the cylinder?  If not, you may have a larger issue.

Aaron

Offline Duane

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Aaron, thanks for the advice on the gasket. The BB cylinder is a stock jug, bored out, no sleeve. Need top figure out my options. Mic'd my stock bore high comp piston and its good, might just use that with a stock size jug.
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer
other toy 66 2 door post Nova, LS1/4l60e, in progress

Offline crisco

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
I've got a stock cylinder i can sell you. Its got about 20 hours on it. Nikasil is good. And it has just been resurfaced so its flat.
Monster duals, FCI, PC3, Barker RHC14, RE 14:1, Trex II port, +3 throttle body, Dynatek programmable ignition, evac valve, 22" Haulers

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:43:57 AM »
get ahold of eric at whiteknuckle racing. talk to him about a new cast 105.5 bore cylinder and cp piston. trust me you wont regret it ;) also dont be affraid of splitting cases nothing to it. once you do it you will be like damn that was pretty :mad:easy and well worth it

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »
Man up to splitting the case  :thumbs:

Here is some help: http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/700-specific-how/8224-770-build-reference.html

Also, talk to Velociraptor or Woofers67 about getting a proper seal on your BB Head Gasket. I've heard good things from both of their methods.

Offline slowrappy08

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
Copper gasket FTW!