Give me some head... info

Started by Segkast, December 03, 2010, 04:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segkast

So hand porting vs. a CNC head... Pros/Cons for each ? What are you looking at in approximate price differences, about $400 ?

Please, School me
Oury grips & Yamalube

Dales396LT4

Give Bo a pm... CNC is just a way to copy a good hand ported head...

preddy08

In all reality for the consumer the only Pro to a hand ported head is the price, and maybe the appreciation of long hours spent to make something pretty.

I've noticed alot of people thinking a CNC head is always better, no matter what or who ported it. When in all acutality a good hand ported head vs a joe blow CNC head is way better.

All a CNC machine does is be able to replicate the SAME head time and time again. 99% of all CNC ports start out as a hand ported head then digitized into a 3D model where they can tweeked some things and smooth out the ports. You get one hand ported head done, digitize it, the plop another head in the CNC and hit start and in no time you'll have the exact head that was designed.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Krandall

The nice thing about a CNC is... there's no question about what was done.. if there's any variables (Maybe a little drunk still from the night before etc...) :lol:

Yeah, it really boils down to how much you want / have to spend.

I've never ran a RE head.. but heard nothin but amazing things from them (thanks troy :cheer: )

I've personally worked with both John (when my motor took a crap). Who was a HUGE help, and I've worked TONS with Bo, who's JUST as great. ..

I think either route you go, you can't go wrong :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Spartan

CNC is also a lot faster to have done...a hand ported head can take a LOT of hours to do properly and it depends on the porter's time schedule...whereas with a CNC setup it can be done in one day and you'd have a ready to go head the same week (depending on if you ship it on a monday/tuesday). I am still learning a bit about this myself, but I'm pretty happy with my CNC head, looks very purdy too 8)

VelociRaptor

This is why I went CNC on the +2 port- so much time to, as accurately as possible, replicate a port that works across a wide plane of applications. Pretty much every post in this thread should have bearing on what you decide.

Colorado700R

If your going for a hand port from someone known Like Bo, then No worries...

But there are plenty of "Porters" out there that are not as knowledgable about what works for the Raptor 700, and what doesn't.

A hand port, can be great, or can be aweful....it all depends on the knowledge of the porter on the specific machine.  I've seen some hand ported bikes put up VERY solid numbers, but I've also seen some not perform above what a stock head did on the same dyno on the same day with the same parts.

CNC is usually a safe bet becuase normally someone won't spend the $$$ to digitize a port on something that doesn't work, and will possibly cause them bad press in comparison to other CNC ports.

If a hand port is what you want, Bo's and the Cuervo Racing have built a solid reputation on Hand porting specifically with the Raptor 700. 

For CNC; Barker, RE, KENZ, etc

I've never talked to the Ceurvo guys, but I know that all the others will talk to you at length about there Porting prices, performance, and options.....

Find someone you trust at the price you can afford bro.

Aaron

Spartan

I got a hand ported one you can have dirt cheap...:lol:

Colorado700R

I've also head nothing but great reviews on the Roosterbuilt, and WK guys that are in your neck of the woods.  I bet they have some ideas for you too.

Segkast

Awesome info guys, thank you all !

I was very happy with my port from Templeton on the 660, and was considering him again for the 700, though I'm not sure if he's as familiar witht he 700 head. I know he's done some, but not sure if he's got the 'guru' status with the 700 as he does with a 660.

Aaron, that's a GERD call. I didn't even think about RB/WK :lol: They're not far from me at all really...

Appreciate it  :cheers:

Oury grips & Yamalube

Tim Barker

Don't forget i also have them and they are proven to go fast. ;)

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

Peelz

You want head? Colorado700r is your guy.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"