Skid Gaurds?

Started by Colorado700R, May 14, 2008, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimelessR1

Quote from: Pile0g00 on June 19, 2008, 08:29:31 PM
Quote from: TimelessR1 on June 19, 2008, 01:49:59 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the Pro Armor belly skids  -1

they look awesome...and are just as thick as most of the competition out there. Their one main flaw is the installation. They designed it that you have to install their spacing washers between the skid and the frame! Ok...great...how do you hold the fckn washers in place withthe skid in place? Duh...horrible desgin. They shold have taken the extra time and weld those space washers onto the skid. So now you have to tape them in place then line up the holes and then stick the screws in!

I've been runing Armidillo bellys and swing arms skids for the last 2 1/2 years and have held up amazingly...and not to mention take about 15 mins less to install then the pro armor (which i decided to try once)

I think they all use spacers.  I know my GYTR do, but they came with a little plastic thing that slides over the bolts to hold them in place.  I lost one of those, so now I just put a bit of tape on the bolt to keep it in place.

Actually not all skids come with spacers. The Armidillos that i normally use are designed not to need a spacer ....they are bulit up inthe spots that would normally need the spacers..which means that the company did their homework and actually designed a good product. Yes they do look plain but then again...does a skid plate need to look cool...

Pile0g00

Ok, good to know.  The point was that Pro Armor should not be shot down based on spaces, because that is the norm.  They are really not that hard to work with either.

Tip, don't tape them to the skid.  Put tape on the bolt until the spacer just fits over.  That will hold the spacer and the bolt in place and the tape will last a long time.  If it really bothers you then get some lock washers or shaft retainers, they are dirt cheap here is a picture of a internal lock washer for those that don't know

bmust67

Let me if you guys need something.,..I'm sure we could work out a group buy or something :thumbs:

Quote from: SandDragon on May 18, 2008, 09:56:12 AM
Colorado, mine were made by bmust67.  He does the radiator guards, a-arms, full belly skids, and GYTR knock offs.  The full belly skids are SWEET!!!  1/2 price of anything else I found... and they are custom.  :thumbs:

Out Back Welding

Nice! I like!

and sence you opened this thread up..........

Quote from: Pile0g00 on June 20, 2008, 08:51:40 AM
Ok, good to know.  The point was that Pro Armor should not be shot down based on spaces, because that is the norm.  They are really not that hard to work with either.

Tip, don't tape them to the skid.  Put tape on the bolt until the spacer just fits over.  That will hold the spacer and the bolt in place and the tape will last a long time.  If it really bothers you then get some lock washers or shaft retainers, they are dirt cheap here is a picture of a internal lock washer for those that don't know

I have full Pro-Armor skids,nerfs,and rear grab bar.. I'm going to have to get on the wagon, about 50% of the stuff I get from Pro-Armor has a really crappy fit up. Don't get me wrong these are good parts, built strong(this is why I buy them). Just be ready to have to do something a lil extra to mount em up :)

Darryll