Rear tire recommendation

Started by MORAPTOR700, November 02, 2010, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORAPTOR700

Finally about got the good out of the stock rear tires on my 07 700. I ride mostly trails (rocks, hard pack dirt) with on occasions mud (dont like mud). I haven't bought any rear tires in years so my question to you guys what do you think is the better tire for me. I will be purchasing some for my daughter 250 as well about the same kind of riding for her as well. So let me know guys. Thanks
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange

Peelz

this will be a big debate. And comes down to what you want. The holeshot HD's I had were overkill for hard pack trail riding.

My favorite tires so far are Kenda Klaws. They are cheap, and super durable. Oh, and arent really heavy either...Great for firm dirt conditions. Did I mention cheap??

there is an XCR and and MXR version. I had the XCR's and loved them. Motorcross guys like them.

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

I'll second Kendas.. But I'm VERY partial to my XCR Rears (from holeshot) Literally have been the best tires on an ATV I've ever owned.

Lots of grip on all terrain types. Cleans out mud very well as well. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Alkire193

You are looking for a tire that is 6ply. If you dont find yourself in the mud and muck too much, look for a lower profile knob on the tire. Something flatter across like the ITP Holeshot HD does well in dirt and gravel. GNCC or XCR Rears have a good contact area.

Maxxis RAZR/ RAZR 2 has a deeper knob for your woods and muck riders. It is a more all-around tire.

Never used Kenda's

Never used GBC (but I hear good things)

Peelz

why never use kendas? Havent head bad things, just curious...they are 4 ply, for half the price of most.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

my bro used the kenda gnarly's on his 250x a few years ago. seemed like a solid tire.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Mad Dog

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on November 03, 2010, 06:52:21 AM
why never use kendas? Havent head bad things, just curious...they are 4 ply, for half the price of most.

He said HE never used kendas, not that you shouldn't ever use them.

If we're talking about rocks, and not just the kind of stones one normally comes across ever few hundred feet in a trail I would probably lean towards a 6 ply tire over a 4.

Peelz

Quote from: Mad Dog on November 03, 2010, 07:51:31 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on November 03, 2010, 06:52:21 AM

He said HE never used kendas, not that you shouldn't ever use them.

If we're talking about rocks, and not just the kind of stones one normally comes across ever few hundred feet in a trail I would probably lean towards a 6 ply tire over a 4.

Derp!!!! shut up MD. I was tired this morning. Grammar nazi no can read.  :lol:

+1 if you are riding rocks, spend the $ on good hard sidewall tires.

Alkire193

Thanks MD, some people are just unable to read basic sentences. :)

Colorado700R

Tony, IMHO a rounded profile tire is superior on trails for our quads.  With the power that your pushing now you will be sliding a tire like a RAZR 1 too much on corner exit (I was).  The best tire I've run has to be the Holeshot GNCCs, they had amazing grip, excellent handling on the fronts, and were really good at self cleaning in mud.  The only downside was they wore quickly, but to me if a rear tire lasts a season it's done its job.

Aaron

Peelz

Quote from: Alkire193 on November 03, 2010, 06:53:54 PM

I'm trying my best......

Alkire193

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on November 04, 2010, 06:20:20 AM
Quote from: Alkire193 on November 03, 2010, 06:53:54 PM

I'm trying my best......

So...in this picture, are you the little girl or what?

Peelz

I'm whatever you want me to be. :lol:  :lol: :lol:

1badazz_700r

Quote from: Colorado700R on November 03, 2010, 07:19:02 PM
Tony, IMHO a rounded profile tire is superior on trails for our quads.  With the power that your pushing now you will be sliding a tire like a RAZR 1 too much on corner exit (I was).  The best tire I've run has to be the Holeshot GNCCs, they had amazing grip, excellent handling on the fronts, and were really good at self cleaning in mud.  The only downside was they wore quickly, but to me if a rear tire lasts a season it's done its job.

Aaron

I agree with Aaron. I have had HD's,razr's, I-razr. None of these compare to my gncc holeshots in any way :thumbs:

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe