Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: fried power comander 5 ?????  (Read 1185 times)

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
fried power comander 5 ?????
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
Went to go ride the 08 raptor 700 and battery was dead, so i put the charger on it and it started right up, but only ran for 2-3 seconds. After that it wouldn't start at all. The battery started to vent out a little hole on top of the battery and got very hot. so i put in a new battery and still wouldn't start until i took the PC5 off and plugged everything in with out the PC5 and then it started right up. So i guess i some how fried the PC5. just want to know what happened before i buy a new one.   
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
Re: fried power comander 5 ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:33:07 AM »
Did you apply the starter voltage to the controller? If so, you possibly sent more power to the PC5 than it could handle. I cant remember off hand, but im sure the PC5 is either supposed to be disconnected or wired to avoid overcurrent from the battery. How do the idicator lights respond when you switch the PC5 on? Do you get the lights when the key is activated? They should flash then shut off as part of a start up sequence. Once the quad is on, the lights stay lit.

Hopefully this is accurate and helpful.

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
you know i just hooked up the charger like normal. ( This was the first time i had ever put a charger on the battery) I think the battery must have shorted out because it got so hot you couldnt touch it, and you can see a distortion in the plastic case of the battery. I wouldnt think jump starting the batt. with the pc5 installed would cause damage. The only thing I can come up with is that when the battery shorted it sent voltage up the ground wire and fried the pc5. No fuses in the machine were blown. maybe a small in line fuse on that ground wire may have saved me 300$  OH yea, The lights on the pc5 never came on after the battery shorted. :( :cry:
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
That definitely sucks...I have charged my battery before with a charger with everything hooked up but I used the very low amp trickle charger for 2 hours

Offline poolboytoo

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
I will order a new one i guess and will install a battery tender lead and maybe a fuse on the ground lead to help prevent this from happening again. Thanks for the help
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:48 PM »
Also, what did you try to start it with? Car starter? Thats overkill. Need a small battery charger/starter.

Otherwise there is probably something wrong in there somewhere. Sounds like too much energy to the battery