Beating a dead horse.....

Started by Weed, July 18, 2010, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weed

I not new to the forum but this is my first post....I currently have an 07 GYTR that is my 3rd 700.  I was a Honda guy.....well still am but not the quads....I am a collector/enthusiast of Pilot's and Odysseys and have a web site that I sell parts for them.

Anyway my question....  My GYTR has the big 2.5, DMC duals, PCIII, and my own air box mod with Uni vents installed in the lid to keep the $hit out of the filter.  Stock air filter hence the .5  I have 20" dune runners on 10" Douglas wheels.  I don't feel like they hook up well and am considering going to 22's.  I want to keep the straight paddle because I had a set of V's on my Odyssey and they sucked.  It felt like the drag from the offset v just allowed tire slip and they didn't hook up.

What quality tire are you guys using?  I have had the Sand Geckos(heavy), ITPs(v paddle sucked), Kenda Dune Runner( short paddle/bad hooking up) all on 10" wheels.  I want your opinions......I have got enough pairs of tires collecting dust in the garage to keep buying more for trial and error.  If I go to 22's do you guys feel that I need to drop a tooth on the countershaft?  Or keep the same?  Keep the 10" wheels or drop to 9" or 8"?????

Most of my riding is at Waynoka and the occasional sand drag with the buddies.  I have no intentions of doing any more motor work to my GYTR, I want to keep it reliable as possible.

Thanks in advance.
C-Dub

Sand84

Welcome  :thumbs: 

Never been been to LS but i would like to make it some day.  But i'd go 22x11x8 7 or 8 paddle Skat Trak Haulers or Extreme.  Im using 22x11x8 8 paddle extremes with Barker Big 3 and I love the them it.  Kinda sucks in really wet sand with a stock arm all you do is look at the sky :lol: 
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

Colorado700R

With as much torq as the raptor generates I'm a big fan of 22" tires.  20" are ditch diggers on these and you need some more floatation on the sand.  I like Haulers like Sand84 stated, but there is a Scat trak "Wedge" out now. 4gunx4x4 had them at St. Athony's and there really kicked ass for a angled paddle.

Peelz

It's all in what you want out of it.

I go to LS once a year, and I prefer V paddles. I feel like they are easier to control and carve. You don't steer witht he throttle as much with straights....  If I lived closer, I would get haulers. Way more hookup, I just don't care for how the track in turns. I also don't care for the look of the raptors with 22" tires on the back.  (looks like a miniquad)

THis is all just personal preference, and my bike only has the "little 3" as compared to your big 2.5 :lol:

I used junky GBC sand sharks that barely hold air for a couple years. WOrked fine, minus drag racing. LAst year I bought some AMS sand snakes (i think) from a member here. They work just fine.
They are V-paddle as well.

+1 on the skat strak vpaddle "Edge". Great mix of hookup and control.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Weed

Opinions and preferences are much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks guys!!! :clap: