Internal Gearing

Started by Alkire193, May 06, 2010, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Ive heard a few drag guys mention this. Changing the cogs for the actual transmission to alter your shift points and gear ratios.

Who does?

Who has experience with it?

If possible id like to mess with it so im not launching in second and immediately going to third

Spartan

Do you plan on drag racing? I don't think those "cut" transmissions are meant for GNCC style stuff, just getting down a 300ft track with as less shifting as possible.

Krandall

I wondered that myself. I know like a truck. you can for the most part play with gearing all willy nilly and have no issues. I would imagine a place to start would be talking to EHS Racing.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

exentix

I remember hearin somethig about guys cutting the gears or something. Not sure why the benefits and cut backs Wouk be but I know ts been done :lol:

Krandall

Its weight savings I think primarily. Get the gears that you NEED nothin extra.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Alkire193

I was thinking more like shifting points, not so much weight reduction. Why EHS?

Krandall

I would assume they've done it since they are holdig the fastest 300' time.. and with the stuff that has been done to that quad. I would imagine they didnt look past that.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Alkire193

Spoke to the guys at EHS and we came to the conclusion that with tire sizing and sprockets (16T up front) I can create the effect im looking for. But they also mentioned that if I drop first and 5th I can remove one of my shifting forks for lower rotating mass internally. And if I billet 3rd then it will be a lot stronger since 3rd breaks a lot in a Raptor under stress.

Anyone else got some more ideas?

Colorado700R

I wouldn't change up any ratios between the gears. drive sprockets yes.  IMO the raptor gearing is matched to it's power attributes. broad power curve with large torq allows for less gear changes when the track/trail gets tight.

Unless your goal is for this thing to be 100% race bike, I'd leave the gears in it.  I could probably do with out 1st, but 5th on my trails is quite common.

Aaron

Krandall

What kind of trails do you ride?

I think I've hit 5th maybe a few times.. that was on an old rail road bed.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Alkire193

Well, yea all out race bike would be nice. I mean, what the hell am I doing here? All this money and effort isnt for me to watch the squirrels out there! I want to run them down!

I want to stretch 3rd a bit and lengthen 4th. You cant really redline 5th on a straight so it seems like im wasting some of that gear. And 1st is way to short on the holeshot, second is better and I NEVER go into first once im going. The atv will have the power for starting second.

AMA rules allow me to decrease but not increase the amount of gears in my atv in the open class.

So I can drop a fork, 1st and 5th and if I can work out 2nd, 3rd and 4th to give 60-80/85 top speed with a good solid acceleration I wont have to shift as much and I can use my power longer when im running a specific gear. When I race im usually stuck between 3rd and 4th. When im stuck behind someone im 2nd to 3rd back and forth. Its a pain. I favor 3rd but soon after I use it I need 4th to quick. Then im in 5th for a short bit before im shifting again back to 4th.

It might all be in the sprockets, but id be interested in figuring out if I can lose some rotating mass