Author Topic: BALLS!!  (Read 808 times)

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
BALLS!!
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »
I knew that would get your attention  :rofl:

I was originally going to slap some Tire Balls in my atv. http://www.tireballs.com/

However im having second thoughts. It seems like additional weight, kind of a pain in the  :mad: to install and when I puncture one cell, now I have to replace the cell AND the tire I punctured.

Im using 6-ply GNCC's or RAZR 2's so im thinking about skipping this $800 investment. But im on edge about whether or not that might leave me with a DNF or race day.

Opinions??

jstev

Re: BALLS!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:12 AM »
I have been running ITP XCT's for about three years now, same set btw.   I have only had one flat on these tires, that was a nail at my Dad's house.   90% of the wear on these tires is from rocks.  Two seasons on them in Montana where the whole trail is just sharp rocks.   Here also the place I ride the Most is nasty rocks.    I just think with 6 ply tires that the tire balls are not neccesary :thumbs:

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
I have been running ITP XCT's for about three years now, same set btw.   I have only had one flat on these tires, that was a nail at my Dad's house.   90% of the wear on these tires is from rocks.  Two seasons on them in Montana where the whole trail is just sharp rocks.   Here also the place I ride the Most is nasty rocks.    I just think with 6 ply tires that the tire balls are not neccesary :thumbs:

3 years? Really?

I only had one issue that kind of jumped out at me was at the 2009 Titan, when i got home it looked as if I took a chisel and gouged out the side of tire, a massive chunk was missing. The tire stayed inflated but if it had 1 ply left that would have been generous. Its an eye opener, but 6 ply seems like it covers all the bases.

How are you feeling about those XCT's, I was looking at a pair

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
Chris, I remember a thread about a guy who was using cut up Pool noodles.  Light, and keeps the tire up with or without air.  I'll see if I can find you the link.

Aaron

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
Chris, I remember a thread about a guy who was using cut up Pool noodles.  Light, and keeps the tire up with or without air.  I'll see if I can find you the link.

Aaron

Yea, you can actually cut them all up in to chunks and treat it like packing peanuts too. It just leaves the tire unbalanced and a bit awkward. But it does allow you to finish. Another one I saw is "Barbie Balls". the ones you throw at eachother in Wal Mart (you know you do!). But im trying to avoid cutting an corners since I have the opportunity to build a great atv at this point in my life I dont want to short cut it anywhere (like ive done so much in the past). If I go with a fail safe it will be Tire Balls or nothing.

jstev

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »
XCT Pros  Wears like iron, works on all kinds of terrain.  Will work as a back up sand tire.   3rd gear wheelies at LS and Kermit on these :thumbs:, Basicly no flats.

Cons Fronts do not works well in this wet clay here in Oklahoma(Mike hass gncc's and his fronts work better),they work fine on dry clay,  Heavy, Heavy, Heavy  18.5 lb for the rear not on a wheel,  With a stock swinger and 55hp these tires do not slide well at slow speed.  It is a desert tire designed to work at high speed and it will slideat the top of third gear and faster.  I know most of you guys have more power than that and have a long swinger wich make s for less traction so I may work on a bike with a swinger.

I should find out son about the swinger.  My brother 660 has a plus 4 and I am haveing a plus two built so I should have a better idea then.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:23 AM »
Do you use them mainly in the sand, tires dont wear hardly at all in the sand vs harder surfaces

jstev

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
No I just tried them at both sand places.   80% of the trails I ride are rocks.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »

Aaron

Yea, you can actually cut them all up in to chunks and treat it like packing peanuts too. It just leaves the tire unbalanced and a bit awkward. But it does allow you to finish. Another one I saw is "Barbie Balls". the ones you throw at eachother in Wal Mart (you know you do!). But im trying to avoid cutting an corners since I have the opportunity to build a great atv at this point in my life I dont want to short cut it anywhere (like ive done so much in the past). If I go with a fail safe it will be Tire Balls or nothing.

"The Off-Road Pro Tire Ball kit cells are warranted against any type of failure, including punctures for a period of 12 months. Price per wheel $199.95 US Dollars"

That's crazy. $800 for balls for a quad? It seems hard to believe something so simple can be so expensive

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once