Help me brainstorm

Started by Danny T, April 24, 2010, 02:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

Soooooo BOTH spots where the bolts would go for my case saver are sheared off the crank case (YIKES!)

I don't want to throw my chain through the case. I purchased a TM Designs case saver and need to mount it some how.... anyone done this?

Maybe make a custom bracket?

All idears are appreciated!

Mad Dog

You need to weld the tabs back on if you have them, or have new ones welded and tapped if you don't.  Everything else is just a cheap band aid that will not be as effective or protect as well.

We have the same problem on the 660's, though typically we only use the upper mounting tab.

jstev

The top lug was broken on mine, so I bought a upp.  I tried to put it on and the bolt that came with it was to long so I broke the other one off when installing case saver.   So I am thinking of putting the bolts through it, put a nut on them, not all the way tight and then build up an epoxy or alumiset mound to hold the nut there.   Yea this is a band aid,but this engine is only one season old so I didn't want to pull it and fix it right YET. 
Maybe just clean it and make a mound of alumiset and drill and tap it.

Alkire193

Grind the points flush to the case, get two pieces of aluminum round stock (1/4"-3/8" diameter) and weld onto both points. Use your new case saver as a guide to make sure the round stock is at the right positions. Then drill and tap. If you have the means, try welding some gussets around the round stock to reinforce them....those things suck and break off way to easily!  :thumbs:

Peelz

YOu're in the wrong place to be needing brain help. :( :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"