How not to dyno a quad

Started by Kamakazi, March 25, 2010, 02:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamakazi

Well I got my Quad dynod yesterday, and talk about a learning curve.  First off we were dynoing in 1st gear and i could only make 40hp, and we were able to make the AFR a straight line at 11.5 AFR, lol.  Then we found out we had to dyno in 4th gear, well this brought everything into perspective, the quad now made a max of 70.2hp but the AFR was all over the map.  With a few hours of smoothing we were able to get the AFR arround 12.5-13.2 AFR except for a 750rpm window at 4k rpm which sits at 14.1 AFR, and in the last dyno we ended up with about 69hp i think, i do not have the dyno sheet yet, but will get it next week sometime.  Now no matter what we did, we could not get the 4-4750k rpm down to 13 AFR, we even drastically changed the blocks int those 3 rpm windows by a value of 10, and still nothing.  We decided to call it a day at that, The hp and tq lines were silky smooth with no drop offs, so we think that maybe there is an anomoly somewhere, and that i should be fine with the map.  I spent 6h and about 50 runs on the dyno, and i tell you, i really wish there was somebody better arround, but it was a learning curve to say the least, and in all of that time we only tuned for 100% throttle runs.  Is there any way to mathematicaly calculate the values for the other throttle percentages?  Anybody, please chime in with your thoughts, and hopefully everybody can learn from this.  There are alot of people, myself included that had/have never been to a good dyno before and i hope this thread evolvs into some good reading material.

Mods are as follows:

KDS head +2 valves
KDS RJ cam
KDS piston 11.5:1 w/total seal rings
KDS +3 tb
+5 HR crank
Pro-flo intake with uni
Muzzy full system exhaust
PCV
Dynatek running curve 2
sparkplug mod with stock NGK plug
91 octane fuel
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

1badazz_700r

if you dont have it get the autotune :thumbs:I dont have any worthy dyno's around me either. your build is similar to mine I would recommend getting the whiteknuckle 54mm TB and pink denso from daniel. the kds head is ported by racersedge just with a little different design that kenny came up with,so basically you have a racersedge head same as mine :thumbs: and the cams are somewhat comparable i think. DL700 should beable to help you on a map :thumbs:he is a super good guy,give him a shout

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Spartan

Yeah, gotta do it in 4th gear, 1st will overrev your motor in a hurry especially with a good build...

And 1badazz_700r can you please resize your signature picture?

VelociRaptor

Alot of times 10% change wont be enough to move the AFR. Im just a phone call away.

Kamakazi

thanks Bo, I guess i shoulda called you while i was there, but i really didnt want to bother you, I will probably call in the next week or so, I think ive found a different guy with a dynojet dyno i might check out, He does alot of Harley tuning and designs/builds Harley heads from blocks of billet, so im hoping he is pretty knowledgeable.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"