Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Running Tubes  (Read 2334 times)

Offline PROXT

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Running Tubes
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:20:48 AM »
Is it ok to run tubes in quads. i done a enduro today and got 2 punctures. They are 6ply kendas too. Just hit sharp rocks. Will it effect it in anyway. Also will i have to run different air pressure. I was running them at 4psi. Is that not enough air pressure. Any help much appreciated.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Running Tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
not sure about tubes, but people run foam inserts to run flat. THink a fun noodle from the pool. sorta the same material. Now, I forgot the name of the company that makes them.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline XC_Raptor700R

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
More than likely you would also puncture the tube since it will be thin and right against the inside of the tire. Tire Balls are the expensive run flat inserts. Racers have used cutup pool noodles and barbie balls that are much cheaper and I'm sure there are more.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:50:59 AM »
Using tubes will be a lot worse, just use them in an emergency but I would rather use tire plugs and inflate with 12v compressor or Motul motorcycle tire sealant. Also in rocky terrain use 6-7 psi so as not to cut the tire by pinching it between the rim and the rock.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
How about that bubble wrap stuff that is used for packing when shipping?
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline bigjames

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »
Put pool tubes in your tires. We run them on all or quads and they work great. You can actually run the tires with no air if you wish. Cheap alternative to tire balls.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »
How about that bubble wrap stuff that is used for packing when shipping?

oh yeah, how cool would that sound be!!!! How about we put some playing cards in the spokes too ? :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline bigjames

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
Seriously fellas pool nooodles are the way to go. Here's a pic of how it looks b4 you put the tire back on. Definately one of the best things I have ever done to my raptor!

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
Have you had the need to use them yet? (flat tire?)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline XC_Raptor700R

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
How does the pool noodles affect mounting the tire on the wheel ???
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Seriously fellas pool nooodles are the way to go. Here's a pic of how it looks b4 you put the tire back on. Definately one of the best things I have ever done to my raptor!

Dude!!  That's an awesome Idea!

Offline bigjames

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I wish I could claim that I created the idea, but many GNCC and WORCS racers on a budget have been doing this for years. I live on the east coast and ride in the mountains alot and we got tired of flat tires ruining our trips. On one trip to Hatfield Mckoy my crew got over 20 flat tires!!!!! It really sucks to have to keep stopping to put plugs in tires and hoping they hold up. The tubes hold up really well and you can actually ride with ZERO air pressure. I had a hole in my front and did three whole rides before I even noticed. It does make mounting the tires a chore, usually takes two people and several tire irons to get them on, but totally worth it.