Wider rear axle for what?

Started by Ranger, June 29, 2009, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

For the most part wide enough for almost a SxS but we go through some paths sometimes that seem almost too narrow for full size quads..One time I actually got the rear tires wedged on both sides between some trees but I was being stupid and not following the group's trail.

Danny T

if your doing tight trails a wider rear is not as noticable as a wider front... meaning its not gonna yank your hands from you if you hit a tree as if you had +4inchs in the front. If you do get a axle and say you go +2 i think it will be perfect. I have +4 in the rear and on occasion hit some really tight trails and the front is my worry never the rear.

Ranger

I doubt I will go wider cause I like having some room to spare as it is

Eagle700R

I allways thought going just wider on the rear was a NO NO..You needed to do the front aswell for stability...Or is that just BS..(just thought i would ask).

Ranger

Don't know for sure either...If it means widening my front as well I probably won't do it, I think my maneuverability outweighs any minor stability issue...I can be pretty aggressive in tight corners and I've never had a tipping feeling yet.

Peelz

widening gives you more travel up front too. Axle is just fro cornering stability.

On my 660, widening the rear was necessary. I bought paddles then I bought front ribbed tires for my first dune trip. THe fronts were offset an inch more than the rears. Not only did it look silly, it really wanted to roll and lean in corners. I bough spacers. Made it instantly better.

Just get 1.5" spacers... If you are going to need to be narrow sometimes.  then just take them off.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Segkast

Quote from: Alkire193 on June 29, 2009, 10:37:07 AM
A sturdy rear axle is a decent upgrade but ive beat on my OEM and it never bent, its also been through some amazing wrecks, no bending. Mostly wider +4 axles (cheaper brands ) stand the chance of bending, which is why you dont want to skimp on the price if you find an axle that has good reviews from owners, not manufacturers.

I have one of those 'cheaper' axles. The G-force is plenty strong (stronger than other, more expensive axles according to the test done by RPM) I know quite a few people who have run these without issue, and have actually yet to hear anything that would turn me away from them from anyone who has actually owned one.

I believe the RPM DominatorII was (of course, this WAS their test) the strongest in the test. Durablue, I believe it is, make an axle that is adjustable to less than stock width as well as being able to go wider ? Was that the x-33, or the eliminator ? I forget.

Don't forget you can play with your wheel offsets to get a small amount of width out the back too...
Oury grips & Yamalube

Ranger

Not too concerned about changing my track width on the stock axle, just wanted to see about changing it for something stronger before I break the stocker.

Segkast

DB makes an HD axle you might be interested in then. OEM Width I think ? :thumbs:
Oury grips & Yamalube