660 heads

Started by thebiz, April 26, 2009, 11:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebiz

ive got two 660 motors and one slipped time i was wondering if i could put the other head on and a new timing chain and go or is there can i not do this need answer fast leaving for little sahara on thursday
08 raptor 700 full jardine rt5 exhaust gytr intake nerfs HIDS pro taper se bars odi lock ons prm grab bar razor 2s

Mad Dog

You can do that, I assume your other head was damaged so that's why you want to swap them?

I would inspect the timing gear on the crank and the cam gear as well.

thebiz

alright i was told by someone i couldnt do that because the heads are pressed to that jug and something something it sounded like a bunch of b.s. tho thats why i was asking
08 raptor 700 full jardine rt5 exhaust gytr intake nerfs HIDS pro taper se bars odi lock ons prm grab bar razor 2s

Mad Dog

the valve cover is matched to the head, but as long as you move both you're fine.  Any head/cover SET can be used with any jug can be used with any SET of cases, unless you've got an oversized cylinder sleeve.

phucker

what happened to your other head? if you dont want it i might be intersted in it.

4stroker

im using a head and cover from 2 different bikes it works fine. ???

Mad Dog

Quote from: 4stroker on June 14, 2009, 07:01:54 PM
im using a head and cover from 2 different bikes it works fine. ???

I'm not surprised that it has worked for you, but they are made as a set so while it's possible for the end result to be within an acceptable clearance/spec when joining two random parts it's not guaranteed due to manufacturing tolerances/variations.

If all works out then no harm done, but if the journals on both parts aren't lined up and mated just so then you'll be eating up camshafts and/or possibly the head and cover pretty quick.