Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: What could be causing this?  (Read 866 times)

Offline kdanderson5

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
What could be causing this?
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
The rappy runs great after some small improvements but I still have a nagging problem that I am curious about. Don't know what to think about it, whether it is the parking brake, or just jetted wrong? :confused:

So here is the story....

When you are in first gear, just taking off, it bogs horribly. Then at a certain rpm, it just jumps and takes off like a bat outta hell and throws ya back in the seat. It is just in the lower rpms of 1st gear that it is doing this bogging. I know the rappy is running a little rich (changed the plug this weekend and it shows it is running slightly rich, and the exhaust has some of the black shart in it) could this be causing it?

I have also read about the parking brake problem and was thinking about getting rid of the parking brake if this could be causing it since I have to get a new clutch lever anyways (mine got bent up as poo when I cart wheeled)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:04:24 PM by kdanderson5 »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: What could be causing this?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
parking brake will cause loss of spark at 3500+rpm.

might be time to adjust a/f screw.

do you need to choke it to start it, or no? Any exhaust or intake mods? May need to change the pilot jet out to bigger size. Stock is 22.5, try 25?

All that being said, this is the natural 660 way of life. I lost a few grab bars learning to deal with the wall of torque at 5000 rpm.

Also, make sure you didn't lose an intake boot in the crash. This will cause you to be lean. Look right where carb meets boot in front. They like to come off and suck too much air in. I had zip ties on mine.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
I was figuring I might have to adjust the af screw.  I will probably have it all f'ed up so it hardly runs when I get done with it  :D

I should probably tear it down and clean the carbs too, but since I have never done that before, I am guessing it really won't run when I do that! 100% skills there! I can screw up anything if I put my mind to it! :nod:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
I was figuring I might have to adjust the af screw.  I will probably have it all f'ed up so it hardly runs when I get done with it  :D

I should probably tear it down and clean the carbs too, but since I have never done that before, I am guessing it really won't run when I do that! 100% skills there! I can screw up anything if I put my mind to it! :nod:
'

It is not that bad. Just don't lose needle springs. I did that. Watched it go flying across the garage. Found the next week. :lol:

SHould be a pretty good post around here with step by step instrux. If not here, RF.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline kdanderson5

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:55 AM »
Thats the post I was looking for like two weeks ago and couldn't find! I thought it was a sticky but couldn't find it but I am a dumbass and probably looked right over it :lol:

Thanks Peels!

Offline zacharkins

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »
The rappy runs great ofter some small improvements but I still have a nagging problem that I am curious about.

i have the same problem except its only on saturday or sunday when i tell my wife im going riding and will be home late!!  haha