Broken header studs

Started by Duner, June 02, 2009, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duner

I have 2 broken header studs.  Drilled both out, and broke the extractor off in the first stud.  Any suggestions would be great or if anyone knows of a good machine shop in Las Vegas

Tim Barker

do you know any good welders. If so have them build the stud back up until you can weld a nut to it then try to remove it. This may take a few times but the heat from the welding usually loosens the stud and it will turn out.

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

Duner

Quote from: tbarker on June 02, 2009, 03:16:54 PM
do you know any good welders. If so have them build the stud back up until you can weld a nut to it then try to remove it. This may take a few times but the heat from the welding usually loosens the stud and it will turn out.
Thats a good idea.  I've heard of it being done.  I'll have to ask around.  Thanks for the ideas

Warren

have you tried an easy-out kit? go get a good set and try those. just make sure you don't snap off the easy-out in the stud. since they are made of tool steel they don't drill out very easy. lol.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Duner

Quote from: warren on June 07, 2009, 11:47:53 AM
have you tried an easy-out kit? go get a good set and try those. just make sure you don't snap off the easy-out in the stud. since they are made of tool steel they don't drill out very easy. lol.
Easy out or extractor.  Thats what I used and thats what I'm trying to get out. the broken off easy out. flush with the head

4stroker

been there done that,id take tbarkers advice on the welder