Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Gearing for sand  (Read 1548 times)

Offline G-Man

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Gearing for sand
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
Just wondering what from sprocket most run for sand.  I am running 20" Sand Stars and have a set of Dune Stars to try out, also 20".  The stock 14T seems to rev too quickly with the 20".  I read a lot about people going to the 15T to make each gear a little more usable.  Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.  Most riding is sand, no racing or hard core bashing.  Just some good fun, cruising, climbing, etc.  Also ride dirt trails.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
Re: Gearing for sand
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
15 tooth would be a nice addition to your bike, as long as you're not hill shooting.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
In my experience.... I've run both the 14 and 15t sprockets.. I honestly liked the 14 a bit more.. when doing drags, it hurt because I wasn't able to pull more out of the 3rd and 4th gears... But in the hill shoots, the 14 was nicer due to keeping the higher revs a bit easier while climbing. I also run 20" sand stars.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Raptor Trent

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
There are too many variables. Horse power, track conditions, rider weight. ect.
I run 25" x 12 paddle rippers with 82" roll out.
I have 16 front sprocket and 38 rear. I take off in second gear on nos and first on motor.
Really need more info to get you the best gearing.
But a 15 tooth would be a great starting point.

Offline tonto13

• Spraya Playa
  • Wizard Of No2
  • Street Cred: 10
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
Not to hijack but I would like to know this also. I am running 15T front, 38T rear. 22" 10 paddle extremes 72" rollout, single buff. +3 swingarm. Motor is 68hp. and 57tq. I have not had a chance to run it in the sand and the way things are looking I won't get to until Snakehunt.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:49:25 AM by tonto13 »
MSAWS= My Sh*t Always Works Sometimes!
"99% of life is what you make of it, so if your life sucks, YOU SUCK!!!"
-Mike Muir (aka Tonto)

Offline jonesi700r

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »
Just wondering what from sprocket most run for sand.  I am running 20" Sand Stars and have a set of Dune Stars to try out, also 20".  The stock 14T seems to rev too quickly with the 20".  I read a lot about people going to the 15T to make each gear a little more usable.  Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.  Most riding is sand, no racing or hard core bashing.  Just some good fun, cruising, climbing, etc.  Also ride dirt trails.
i ride in the oregon dunes with 20" sandstars and i switched to a 15t last year. it seemed to help me in most of the drags up hill cause i could run a gear lower alot of the time, but flat drags it might have slowed me down a bit. it didnt hurt my hill shooting or trails but when just cruisin around i found my self shifting more and having to use second when i almost never did before. i have added a couple more bolt-on mods since then so i'm gonna give them both a try agian, but i have a feeling im gonna like the 14t for the sand. i also ride in the woods and on logging roads and the 15t is great for dirt. but im sure it all depends on where you are riding and what you have for power.

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
Gearing for sand can be tricky...your best bet is to ride a bit on one sprocket and then change to your other one to see which works best for what conditions.

If your into drag racing ride along side a buddy up one of the dragging hills (or flats) and see where you stand, then change sprockets to see if it hurts or helps you. What might work best for drags might not be the best gear for all around duning (if you gear high for drags, might be shifting a lot more for some of the hills).

I will be 65hp (+/-) with stock swinger (  :rolleyes: ) riding on 20 inch 9 paddle extremes so it will be interesting to see where I end up while riding at Little Sahara, UT. I want to be able to gear for the face of the mountain (where most of the dragging occurs). I have a 13/14/15 front and only stock rear. I am guessing the 15 front will be my best bet. I have never ridden the 700 there so will have to see which gear lets me get the most rpm out of 4th gear.

At least the front sprockets are a breeze to change!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline G-Man

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
There are too many variables. Horse power, track conditions, rider weight. ect.

Don't know exact HP.  Have a Monster intake with Monster Duals and the PC3.  +2 JD MGC LT a-arms with Motowoz front and rear.  Dirt riding is usually dry hardpack but some rainy stuff.  Sand is can be dry powdery or damp and tacky.  With gear on I'm about 230.  Rode with the stock 14T and seemed like 1st was useless.  Started mostly in second and rode in third/fourth.  Hill climbing, not racing, I ran in second or third.  Second tended to be a little short.  Looking for all around running.  Don't need to be the fastest or quickest.  Just want safe, comfortable running with whatever I choose to do.  As for the front sprockets, the stock one came right off, but the Moose 15T I put on to try was a little tight going on the splines, is that normal?  May need a small puller to pop it off if needed.  Guess tight is better than loose.  Thanks for all of the tips. 

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »
Tighter is Always better than looser :nana:

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline G-Man