stock chain and sprocket questions....

Started by Warren, January 30, 2009, 05:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

just like the title says. what size and how long do i need to order my new chain?
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Krandall

I believe stock is 92 teeth. So, if you buy a 100 link chain and just cut to size, you should be good to go.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Livingmylife93

I always found it smarter to buy chains from the stealership, cause you buy a new chain (130 links) and they cut it down to size for you as you buy it, then you have the extra links laying around. If you order it, you dont get the extra links.

Mad Dog

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on January 30, 2009, 02:19:13 PM
I always found it smarter to buy chains from the stealership, cause you buy a new chain (130 links) and they cut it down to size for you as you buy it, then you have the extra links laying around. If you order it, you dont get the extra links.

A typical aftermarket 520 generic length chain comes in 120 links, 130 is not as common but must be what your dealership carries (the more links a chain has the more it costs so they can charge people more).  So you're buying it all, you're just having the dealership cut it for you.

I wouldn't want to bring my quad all the way to the dealership to have them check the length and cut it, I'd rather do it at home when it's convenient to me.  Cutting it at home is easy with a cheap cutter or side grinder and takes much less time than it would to load up my quad.  As for having bits of chain leftover; what's the big deal about throwing extra links in the garbage?  Your dealer is doing it when he cuts yours.

If you're not taking the quad to the dealership then you must know how many links you need, and if that's the case why pay extra for the 130 link chain?  (we'll ignore the prospect that you may be paying a higher price at a dealership in the first place).  Even on the cheapest non o-ring DID chain the difference b/w the 92 link and the 120 link is 7 dollars, and twice that for some of the x-ring chains and three times that with high end 92 vs 130/140 link chains.

I can understand the convenience of just having a dealer lop off the length you need, but I don't think it's a "smarter" option.

Warren

this is what my cart looks like over at rockymountainatv

if i get that stuff will i be ok? will the 15 tooth fit with the stock case saver and sprocket cover?
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Mad Dog

According to the description of that part number the chain includes a master link.

Product Details

* Specially designed for the requirements of ATVs
    * Thicker than normal plates for increased strength and heat dissapation
    * Special low friction "X" type o-ring is used
    * better sealing to keep dirt out and lubrication in
    * 8120 lbs. average tensile strength
    * Master Link included

Krandall

Quote from: Mad Dog on January 30, 2009, 02:56:48 PM
According to the description of that part number the chain includes a master link.

Product Details

* Specially designed for the requirements of ATVs
    * Thicker than normal plates for increased strength and heat dissapation
    * Special low friction "X" type o-ring is used
    * better sealing to keep dirt out and lubrication in
    * 8120 lbs. average tensile strength
    * Master Link included

+1 no need for the master link. As far as fitment, you will have no issues running the case saver/cover.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

throttlesteer

Quote from: warren on January 30, 2009, 02:47:09 PM
this is what my cart looks like over at rockymountainatv

if i get that stuff will i be ok? will the 15 tooth fit with the stock case saver and sprocket cover?

Looks to me like you got it all...
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

Warren

this is my new list here:

i hope it's the right stuff because i just printed that out and gave it to my mom for my birthday list. lol
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB