chain & rotor rubbing swingarm skid

Started by Danny T, September 28, 2008, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

Why are both my chain & my rotor rubbing against swingarm skid??

Jamie700R

You could have adjusted all tension out of the chain and rotated it enough where it begins to hit. How old is your chain?

socalrappy700

Did your skid take a bad hit?  If so it could be pushed up against it.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

BRAD

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on September 29, 2008, 06:44:25 AM

yep that is probably the most likely if u ride rough trails. i have to bend my skids back into place every couple months
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

Danny T

my chain and sprockets are brand new. i guess i could have took a hit at and had them bent. maybe i will just take them off and try to bend the back.

Peelz

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on September 29, 2008, 06:44:25 AM

+1 This was my first notion.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Bert

Quote from: Bert on September 28, 2008, 10:49:26 PM
The culprit is Item #2 HUB, REAR
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/3/Type/All-Terrain_Vehicle_(ATV)/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/2133/Model/Raptor_700/GroupID/335607/Group/REAR_ARM_
Item #2 is the carrier, its an eccentric (sp) and it rotates in a oval pattern front to back allowing
chain tension to be adjusted. While its moving front to back its also moving up & down.  When you
spin your carrier you can watch its movement.  Right now the carrier is in its lowest position
allowing the sprocket/rotor to contact the skidplate.  When this happened to me I adjusted my chain
& fixed the contact issue.  Click on the link & zoom in, look at the carrier & you can see the eccentric.
Try adjusting your chain & position the carrier in a middle or upright position allowing clearance between
your skid & sprocket/rotor.  If it doens't work at first keep spinning the carrier & find the "sweet spot".

Anyone offer a better explanation than a bent skid, post up   :lol:  Well that's my .02$

Danny T

hey bert, my chain is currently at the perfect position. So if i adjust my carrier wont it ruin my chain slack just to fix the rubbing? Or can i adjust my swingarm @ #2 some how. Thanks for the quick replys

Bert

Quote from: dmx434343 on September 29, 2008, 01:01:49 PM
hey bert, my chain is currently at the perfect position. So if i adjust my carrier wont it ruin my chain slack just to fix the rubbing? Or can i adjust my swingarm @ #2 some how. Thanks for the quick replys
My chain tension was correct on mine as well but somehow I manipulated the carrier position to allow clearance for the sprocket/rotor.   I don't understand the relationship of chain tension to carrier position but I did have luck fixing the problem  ???  The skid plate spacers I added were non longer needed after readjusting my chain....wish I could explain the workings better but I am at a loss.  I did spin my axle quite a few times & saw the carrier moving, I guess I got lucky & the chain was in spec & sprocket had clearance....
:lol:  Initially I thought my skid was bent & after removing it I could see that it was fine.

air

Going along with what Bert stated, Make sure when you adjust your chain you are rolling the quad backward. this puts the eccentric up. If you roll forward to tighten the chain it puts the eccentric down and it will rub.
Rusty

Bert

Quote from: air on September 30, 2008, 06:13:37 AM
Going along with what Bert stated, Make sure when you adjust your chain you are rolling the quad backward. this puts the eccentric up. If you roll forward to tighten the chain it puts the eccentric down and it will rub.
Thank you for the simple explanation Air  :clap:

I called it eccentric but i think the proper term is the concentric cam chain tensioniser

Danny T

so maybe by hand i should move my hub forward than roll it back to get it back into position. will try out a few things when i clean the quad on thursday. thanks guys!