Frame, Swing Arm and A-Arm Armor, what to get?

Started by zx10r203, September 21, 2008, 09:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Quote from: TimelessR1 on September 22, 2008, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: Bert on September 22, 2008, 07:14:25 AM
I have this engine skid & didn't have good luck with durability. A rock sheared off a corner  :confused:
http://www.tagmetals.cc/atv/productdetails.php?id=skid

Thats funny that you mention the corner breaking off....the corner on mine broke off on the first ride...then on the second ride i  ripped and mangled it...I'm trying to contact Tag to tell what a piece of $h!t their product is! If i was only running in sand...maybe it might work, but not with my riding

My idea is for a dual layer skid plate, aluminum & then plastic underneath for the "slide" effect  ???

Krandall

That would be good, that's one of the main reasons I run the plastic on the rear as well, for the slide-ability.

I wonder how that'd work,

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Bert

I think the hardest part would be keeping the plastic attached to the aluminum.  It could be riveted ( they will break )  Glue or epoxy it? (never come off)   ???

TimelessR1

But if you have both, youd be adding more weight....ist the objective to have the best protection with the lightest weight? I just ordered PRM belly, and .25 rear skid...its a bit heavy...but i'll see how it holds up. Up to this point...I'd have to say my Armidillo belly and skid have been the best.

Bert

Quote from: TimelessR1 on September 23, 2008, 10:08:15 AM
But if you have both, youd be adding more weight....ist the objective to have the best protection with the lightest weight? I just ordered PRM belly, and .25 rear skid...its a bit heavy...but i'll see how it holds up. Up to this point...I'd have to say my Armidillo belly and skid have been the best.
I'd be reducing ground clearance as well  with a dual layer skid ???
In my experience the Tag Railer skid didn't hold up to my riding areas. 
The plastic will have a memory vs the aluminum bending.(My Tag skid remembers hitting that rock, thats why it tore off the rear corner  :lol: ) Can the 2 be combined ?
And should they be?  :help: 

I installed my Tag engine skid & raced a hare scramble, 1st ride & it suffered severe damage to 1 rear mount (missing)  So that was $115 well spent.  I like the Tag but the durability is an issue for me so I would like to do something to improve upon that.  Ground clearance isn't an issue for me as I can put on 23/22 tires once my quad is widened so....that's my .02

I have a PRM swinger skid & thought it heavy as well but I've had no issues with durability yet so I'm happy.  +1 for PRM-ATV products

fire raptor

Pro Armor complete under the belly. Ride in Baja and have 0 complaints.

TimelessR1

Quote from: fire raptor on September 24, 2008, 11:49:53 PM
Pro Armor complete under the belly. Ride in Baja and have 0 complaints.

Pro Armors look nice but the belly skid installation sucks, and I've bent it in the middle more then my armidillo, reason being...they cut more of the metal away to pprolly make it light...but that also makes it weaker. If you happen to be running a Fram Sure fit for your oil bolt, your not gonna want that pro armor since it bends concave in the middle allowing the Fram plug to be exposed.

fire raptor

Not a time for pissing contests on skid plates. I have a 06 700 and have tore front bumpers off on rocks and have cracked a-arm gards but never any damage to the bottom skid . Maybe Baja is not as tough as other places. The guy asked for our opinion and thats what he got.

quiksilverz71

I have the Pro Armor stuff, it fits great and has done its job without any problems  :thumbs:
09 Raptor 700 (Blue)
Flexx Bars/ODI Grips/AVS Levers/Quad Tech Seat
PC5/Pro Design/Barker Duals
Hiper Tech 3/ITP GNCC Tires
Pro Amor Skids/Precision Stabilizer/HIDS

06 Raptor 700 (Gray)
PC3, Pro Design Intake, ODI Grips
07 GYTR Front Shocks,AVS Levers
Pro Armor Skids/Precision Stabilizer