Rider weight vs Tire pressure

Started by Colorado700R, August 25, 2008, 11:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalrappy700

Quote from: kyledvor61 on August 25, 2008, 12:59:21 PM
so does socal run about 15 pounds? ???

No fat ass here.  I may be 280 but what do you expect when your 6'8".   And I run 4 in the back and 6 in the front, that set up has worked just fine for me. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

fireman5166

its not my ass thats fat its my beer gut. :lol: :lol: :lol:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Colorado700R

Hmm, this seems wierd to me becuase if Socal is more than 100lbs heavier than I am, and lets say that the rear tires are holding 60% of the rider load (probably more), then his rear tires are floating on 30 more lbs per tire than I am, are were using the same PSI??

You would think that with more weight on those tires that a smaller footprint (higher PSI) would be required to achieve the same footprint as a lighter rider  ???

zx10r203

Quote from: Colorado700R on September 12, 2008, 12:04:58 PM
Hmm, this seems wierd to me becuase if Socal is more than 100lbs heavier than I am, and lets say that the rear tires are holding 60% of the rider load (probably more), then his rear tires are floating on 30 more lbs per tire than I am, are were using the same PSI??

You would think that with more weight on those tires that a smaller footprint (higher PSI) would be required to achieve the same footprint as a lighter rider  ???

I think that you are correct on the second part of your thinking.  A heavier rider will need more air to have the same footprint as a lighter rider.  More air to account for more weight pushing down on the tires. 

On you first part, I would think that the tire can only expand so far. Reaching a "give limit" and not increasing the footprint even though more weight is being applied.  ???

Then again I could be wrong!!!!!!!  :grin_nod: