Do any of you use GPS Units out on the trails?

Started by Danny T, September 08, 2008, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

Ok well sometimes we get a little off track while out on the trails. Im wondering if any of you use those handheld gps units to mark some certain spots and find your way back to your trailer.

I found this one online, its waterproof and seems about the right price.

I am not looking to spend more than $150

What do you reccomend? (i am Mi if it matters)

http://www.tigergps.com/magellantriton300.html

Onelunglow

I would go for a Garmin Rino type GPS. The really cool thing about these are if your friends get them to, you can see where they are at also! :thumbs:
06 - White Raptor
04 - Green KFX80
92 - White/Blue Banshee
88 - Lt500 Drag quad (ski-doo - 809 installed)

r00st

I have a cheap little garmin gecko (its the middle of the line gecko...dont remember what the numerical designation is...but its the green one). It is super handy! Its about the size of a small cell phone (think nokia style) and I have it permanently mounted on my bars. It helps out a lot in the dunes or in large riding areas when looking for our parking spot/camp or a jump/hill we marked!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Danny T

the rino seems too big for me. i like the size of the gecko but will it tell you how fast your going?

Danny T

r00st

Yes to both questions! I think even the smallest most basic gecko model will do the above. Mine is just waterproof to a higher level than the introductory model. I woudl say look for mine if you can find it (I think its the model 201?) its the neon green one. You should be able to pick one up for cheap off ebay. I think its the perfect size as well.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Danny T

i did like the size of yours, but i ended up getting the Garmin Etrex summit, due to the fact that it comes with maps. When we go trail riding there is usually lakes and stuff so it would be cool to know where those are. It was 95 shipped on ebay for a refurb. O and it has 22 hour battery life
Cant wait to get it!!!

r00st

The etrex' are very nice as well. They are a bit bigger but have more features so its worth having the larger unit. The maps are definitely a plus!
Have fun :)
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

fireman5166

I have a older magellan and hate it. maybe the new ones are better but my buddy uses the garmin. the garmin works killer. :thumbs:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Flynbyu

I'd get lost using GPS.

:lol:

I can see where it would be handing at the dunes.....Dunes all look the same.

GPS is crucial when we go on a cross country flight. Much better than chasing VOR's.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Flynbyu on September 09, 2008, 03:24:30 PM
I'd get lost using GPS.

GPS is crucial when we go on a cross country flight. Much better than chasing VOR's.

~Brian

ahh come on Brian, calculating reverse asimuths off of radial DME's was fun  :mad:

Flynbyu

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Danny T

yea for 25 more i could have got the vista color screen but i had exactly $95 bucks to "spare" so the summit worked out perfect. hopefully i get it by friday so i can use it this weekend. I called my buddy and told him that i ordered a GPS. He says "but why?, that takes the whole fun out of trying to find our way back" watch one day hes gonna get so lost w/o me wishing he had a GPS. we always go wayyyyyyyyyyy off track!

Peelz

Quote from: Flynbyu on September 09, 2008, 03:24:30 PM
I'd get lost using GPS.

~Brian

:lol:  Mine would just keep saying "recalculating" in an Australian accent. We have a Garmin street GPS. It is very partiicular about your route. If you stray off your lines, it will continually tell you to U-turn at every intersection. Can't imagine in the air. :lol:

It worked for figuring out top speed of the raptor though. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"