How well do 4-snow's work in the sand? Not a replacement for true paddles?

Started by r00st, September 08, 2008, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

This being the first season I have had my 700, I dont have any dune tires for it. On my 730 I was happy with my 9 paddle hauler extremes. I have also run sand star rears (22 inch) and the sand star fronts which were a great combo (decent hill capability but turned very nicely especially with the fronts).

I dont want to get dune fronts as we dont dune often enough. What would be a good choice for rears? I like to be competitive as possible on the hill, but turning/sliding is nice to do as well.

Think Haulers?
V-paddles (sand stars, or edges?)
Or...4-snows? I could use 4 snows here in the dirt for drags, as well as for snow. I have heard mixed reviews on this type of tire. Some rave over them, some say they are crap.

Should i just swing for the real dune tires? For those who run in pretty tall dunes...how much of a difference is there in bike lengths between a good hauler (extremes or regular) and a v-blade (be it sand stars or edges)??

If its like .5 length going up sand mountain (Utah) than I might swing for the more dunable/turning edges or stars. If its a couple of lengths I will go for the haulers.

Any help/experience is appreciated!! All of my buddies changed from yfz's to ltr's (literally all of them). i used to spank them with the 730, so I am hoping to do the same this year with my 5 mod 700!

Thanks
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Bert

I have AMS Zipper tires, same design as 4-Snows & I've heard the 4-Snow's have thicker paddles. I've ridden the Zippers in sand once & noticed a bit of wear so they are a snow only tire now.  I was riding with my buddy (Polaris 400 4x4) & he thought I had 4x4 on the Rappy  :lol: For snow riding the Zippers are better than a paddle IMO.
I read on the other site that 4-snows are a favorite tire amongst dirt drag guys.

The AMS Zipper is reversible for more or less traction, ice riding etc.  Does the 4-snow
advertise it being reversible as well  ???

r00st

I think they should both be reversible, as the design is almost identical.

My main concern is how well the work in sand, with snow being an afterthought. i have some new GNCC's I just put on which should work pretty decent for the little bit of snow riding I do. I am just thinking that since the zippers/4-snows are so cheap, if they work well in the sand I will buy them and get multiple uses out of them.

If they are no good in the sand, than I guess I will bite the bullet and get some paddles.

They wore down in sand? thats odd, usually sand just cleans tires up unless you are riding in sand with rocks or lots of roots.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

SandMan812

I picked up a good 2 bike lengths on my Rappy when I went from sand stars to just 8 paddle haulers. You might see an even bigger difference with extremes if your making good power?
ex·pe·ri·ence ~ def.: That which you receive just after you needed it.

Bert

When I rode the Zippers in sand the quad wanted to go straight, too much traction. I didn't bother adjusting tire pressure or reversing the tire I just wheelie'd a lot that day
I found it pretty hard to spin it around on the hill & come back down

Colorado700R

Quote from: SandMan812 on September 09, 2008, 10:13:09 AM
I picked up a good 2 bike lengths on my Rappy when I went from sand stars to just 8 paddle haulers. You might see an even bigger difference with extremes if your making good power?

That's gonna depend on the sand your riding on.  For lighter sand I'm sure you're right.   :thumbs:

But on the heavier stuff (IE Walden) it's not nearly as big of a diffrence in my expeirence.

Aaron