Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Need help deciding on intake. Keep pro design (new foam filter), CFM, Or FCI????  (Read 2271 times)

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
Do most of the trinity/pro flow/ generic intake adaptors use the same size adaptor (that goes from the throttle tube to the air filter) ??

I am not totally sure what is on my bike now (was on there wen I got it). It has a new metal tube with an adaptor plate that connects to the stock intake tube. It has a skinny K&N on there. Its like a perfect cylinder (not one of the cone ones, that are flared on the bottom). I am not sure on the size, so was hoping someone might now. I am not sure if this is the trinity, the pro flow, the pro design or what!
I want to get a uni for it as I dislike K&N filters (if I keep it that is). I am all about the foam!

I was thinking about getting this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Raptor-700-700R-CFM-High-Performance-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ025QQitemZ380060797692QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Its the CFM intake adaptor which goes up to 4 inches and uses a pretty beefy Twin filter on the end of it. I figured if im spending the money on the filter anyway, may as well get this cfm piece that lets me use a bigger filter and slightly larger intake (even though, yes it tapers back down for the stock intake boot).

So the choice is between:
1. New twin air for the intake adapter I have now (like 30 bucks) but its a pretty tiny filter
2. CFM intake adapter with twin filter and new outerwear to fit filter (90 bucks)
3. Just say screw it and buy the FCI intake with box (300 bucks) FCI said they have a foam filter to go with this...if its a no name I might try to just buy the box/tube and find a huge UNI that would fit.

What do you guys think I should do?

My current mods are:
PCIII
Barkers
Dynatek programmable (curve 2)
Evac valve

I am getting dyno'd soon, so am thinking any more bolt ons I plan to do in the next 6-12 months should be done now so I can have the tune set properly for whats on the bike. If the FCI is only like .5-1 hp over these other options it does not really seem worth it in my eyes. I think I would rather save the extra 200+ bucks for cam/piston next season if that is the case. I am thinking the CFM is right in the middle as it uses a bigger filter, but down side is the intake tube would of course still be stock.

Thoughts? comments??
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:37:40 PM by r00st »
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
I thought the FCI was a 2-3 HP gain vs Trinity/Pro Design intakes

Offline jwraptor

• Street Cred: 0
If you are looking to get everybit of hp out of your raptor then you should buy it but if you are a trail rider/duner then you are probably better off spending the money elsewhere.  For the drag racers any additional hp is a plus and these people will buy the kits as at some point it will take hundreds of dollars to gain 1 hp or tenth of a second at the track.  Just my .02

Offline zx10r203

• VIP
  • NOMAD SYNDICATE
    • Email
r00st - Take a couple of pictures if you can that will help you narrow down the brand of intake on there!! 

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
If I were to do it all over again. I would do my mods slowly and get the best of the best. You will always think what if I would have gotten the FCI?

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
But something better is always coming out.  When I got mine the pro design was one of the best out there.  Now there are some many other choices.  No matter what you get, something better will be out soon.  So its better to start out with the best technology instead of going with the "older" design.  FCI has my pick.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
Ya I think im going to try the FCI route... I figure I am trying to get the most out of my 4-5 mod that I can.

Thanks guys
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
As long as it doesn't take 5 months to decide like it did with your front end.

:lol:
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
LOL...hey it was 2 months, and good things come to those who wait :) I got the first set of the new re-design of the houser sli-casts and they are at my house now (too bad im at school and dont get to see them till this weekend). I am just waiting to hear an update from Kenneth about my motowoz, but it should be in the next couple of weeks :)

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
its just to bad you didn't act quicker so you could go with us to silver lake next weekend.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
I dont think it would have worked out anyway as im so busy with school. I have an interview friday for a new job working part time for K-mart as loss prevention. My room mate does the same job but for wal-mart. Its not bad for part time (20 hrs/week) as it pays 11/hr starting.

Hopefully I can finagle some weekends off to get some riding in!

Socal....do you ever ride the badlands or Fox valley offroad? I havnt been to either in a couple years now, but would like to sometime before the snow.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
I haven't, but I'm still new to the area.  I could be in for a trip next month.  This month is shot.

Tell em Ray......KKKKKmart sucks.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
lol we lost our k-mart like 8 years ago (back at home). This one is identical...and just as "nice" (please pick up sarcasm!). Should be pretty easy/fun though!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
Well you keep your eye out for the kids with the sticky fingers.  And lets plan a fall ride somewhere.  I'm up for that.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
Sounds good on both counts!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF