Pistons are done*UPDATE*

Started by Kenny, July 30, 2008, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Quote from: preddy08 on August 06, 2008, 08:25:08 PM
Quote from: preddy08 on August 06, 2008, 01:26:23 PM
Are the top and bottom ring both going to be gapless?

A second rings would'nt work, right? while the piston is moving there is going to be SOME pressure built up inbetween the top and compression rings, where do you want that to go, up and release seal of your top ring or go down into the crankcase? thats why second ring gaps are set farhter apart than top ring gaps with file-fits. Any risk of the second ring unseating its self due to pressure? Any ring fluttering?

Is'nt a small amount of blowby essential to proper ring seal, a small amount of blowby acts as a evacuation pressure to push oil back down into the crankcase instead of into the cylinders. A cylinder which has absoltely no pressure passing through the rings, will get oil into the combustion chamber, thus reducing the octane and leading to detonoation.

Do the gapless rings create any idle vaccum?

WOW, my head hurts....lol ??? ??? ???

Kenny, wanna set any of this stright?
That is some bizarre info you have there ??? :lol: The top ring only is gapless. The second ring is reverse taper that really acts as another oil ring. Of course we are keeping the tension as low as possible. Blow-by is never desirable, but we use "controlled" blow-by to reduce blow-by, if that makes sense. Gas porting is controlled blow-by that is really intended to run lower tension rings. What happens is that you don't need real ring tension during any cycle except combustion. So you can dramatically lower operating friction by using rings with less radial tension and using combustion pressure to press the rings tighter against the cylinder wall during the all important combustion process. Here's a good trick: Ask your favorite engine builder why he uses gas porting, and what he's done to manipulate it's benefits :rofl:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

preddy08

I was just doing a bit of homework on the gapless rings and that was the general worrys/problems people had with them.

There was alot of "nothing but problems, use standard file fit C&A rings" answers to people asking questions about the gapless rings. Now I'm sure that 90% of that was user error, what are some peoblems that may occur? Does the piston come with dirrections. (my venom did'nt)

Not trying to bash your product at all! but rather understand it better.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Kenny

I know you weren't bashing :thumbs: The gapless second rings are the reason gapless top rings happened ;)
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan: