when to change the brakes

Started by Kevo700r, July 26, 2008, 01:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevo700r

Ok here is my problem. Went riding is a muddy area and ever since the rear brakes are making a errrrr noise. Tore the brakes down and cleaned some mud out above the brake pads. I also pulled the brake pads out and they are slightly grooved and nice and silver. My disk is also grooved. F :mad:ing mud. Let me know if any one has any advice.
Kevin

Livingmylife93

I would go ahead and change them, mud can really eat up brake pads if they arent the right matireal.

Warren

yeah i would change them out.

i changed mine to EBC severe duty pads. i got them from RMATV.  :thumbs:
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Kevo700r

Cool guys I will look into the EBC's in Rocky M.

Livingmylife93

Quote from: warren on July 26, 2008, 04:56:26 PM
yeah i would change them out.

i changed mine to EBC severe duty pads. i got them from RMATV.  :thumbs:

Thats what i used on my 350 and loved them

Kevo700r

some one on that other site told me to use sandpaper. Anyone dissargree with this? It looks like i have plenty of pads left. I think it would work.

Warren

ummmm i guess you could try it. but if you FERK it up it's going to cost a shit load more to replace the rotor then it will to replace just pads.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Bert

Not sure but I thought I read that cleaning rotors you can use Brake Cleaner & scuff the rotors with emery cloth/ sandpaper.

The rotor on my 06 Raptor needs to be upgraded with a 07 rotor which is cross drilled & should help the pads wear longer from better cleaning. 

biggixxerjim

the stock rotor on the 06's is crap!!! I used to have to stomp on my pedal to get the rear to break loose... now with a streamline wave rotor and nice sintered brake pads, im stylin
2006 Raptor SE
Burgard +2 A Arm
YFZ shocks
RPM Dominator
Big Gun F/S
Dobeck Gen III
CFM Alum. Air Box
Pro Armor Pro Peg/MX Bumper
Pro Taper 1 1/8
ITP GNCC Front on Itp T-9
Maxxis Razr II Rear with ITP Baja
Streamline wave rotors
Custom PRM Swing Skid
RK Chain/Renthal Sprokets

blueyamaha

Quote from: Bert on July 27, 2008, 11:13:38 AM
Not sure but I thought I read that cleaning rotors you can use Brake Cleaner & scuff the rotors with emery cloth/ sandpaper.

The rotor on my 06 Raptor needs to be upgraded with a 07 rotor which is cross drilled & should help the pads wear longer from better cleaning. 

I upgraded my 06 rotor to a 07 rotor for the same reasons.

Kevo700r

Ok here is what i did so far. I use some sand paper on the pads I also found that the back pad has holes on the side. They were filled with mud could not tell they were there. Cleaned the pads and disk with cleaner. (didn't sandpaper the disk) I put it back together and it sounds alot better not as good as it was before but i can live with it for now.

Bert

Kevo700r

Bert

I installed a shorty parking brake lever from ROXSpeedFX.com that I bought used without instructions.  Went for a quick ride  & when I came back my rear brake was spongy (gone)  I touched the brake caliper with my finger & melted the skin on my finger  :mad:  I unhooked the PB handle & zip tied it out of the way, the brake fluid cooled down & all seems well now.  The brake fluid was boiling hot & will be replaced along with the pad & rotor  :lol: