drain plug stripped

Started by socalrappy700, November 11, 2010, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalrappy700

Well my high hopes of riding for the first time in over a year is now screwed.  I was pulling my drain plug to change the oil and my plug came out with all the threads.  So how screwed am I?
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Sand84

Damn that sucks Erich.  :(   I've heard of people Tapping a size bigger (I think ???)
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

socalrappy700

hope that works, thats my only hope.  and I'll need a magnetic plug in the bigger size.  FML
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

txredxj

you can heli coil it. make sure to loctite the coil and antisieze the bolt.

Sand84

Found this on Raptorforum

FL.Woods Raptor
"I'm thinkin' it's 12mm or 14mm 1.25 but I would go to a 1.50 thread pitch it doesn't strip as easy. this is a common problem with the Raptor you just got to be careful and use a new crush washer every time you change the oil."

Foolio
"The same thing happened to me and i helicoiled it and it doesnt leak. I used a 14mm on it... "
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

socalrappy700

I may try this.  Steel on aluminum....steel always wins.  But Steel on steel should be a better fix.

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Time certs are badass, but a helicoil will work. call a local motorcycle shop, tell them what you need.  Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

Aaron

Peelz

Damn E, that sucks!

Moral of the story: Never leave your sexy SE2 alone for over a year!  :nod:

good luck buddy  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

THIS ASS FOR RENT

before I strip mine I'mthinking about a FUMOTO.  Any thoughts?

Dales396LT4

FUMOTO is gay haha  Man up and just helicoil it...

rappyfreak

For a Fumoto or a Fram Sur drain you need to have an aluminum chassis skid and you should be fine.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is IƱigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Spartan

Or just don't strip the threads...

russ-russ

Fumoto FTMFW!  I have one on the truck and love it.  I hate changing oil on a vehicle without one.

To socal, do the helicoil, it's pretty easy and totally solid when done.  The timesert is more solid, but much more involved install.