Dual exhaust and sound restrictions

Started by burnsey, May 14, 2010, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnsey

:hair: Hi,
I am a newbbie, but have been viewing your site as a guest for sometime and have gotten some good advise, so I thought it was time to join the family.   I want to purchase either Barker or Trinity stage IV dual exhaust system, however, I have concerns about the db's, even with the quite core inserts.  I ride mostly in Colorado and my park ranger buddies are telling me that they will start checking db's this summer at most of local trails and they are looking for exhaust's that are over 96db.  I don't know about the rest of you, however, that is a hard db to reach, even with the quite core inserts.  I have been told that the average db's with the QCI are around 98db's and not the 96 or 94 that manufactures claim, so my question is, does anyone have experience with the dual exhaust and sound restricted area's where you ride?  FYI, I am leaning toward the Barkers, so any thoughts on the type of duals you have and what you like/dislike about them would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Colorado700R

Howdy.  I run Barker duals.  Tim Barker is a member here so you can ask him directly, but the barker quiet cores will meet the 96db limitation.

I was tested at Walden last summer, and my barker's read 99db without the quiet cores, so I have no doubts that they will meet the spec.

Aaron

Peelz

Barkers will be the answer given by everybody who posts after me. Trinity doesn't make near the power.

The barker's I have heard are much quieter than most singles I have heard. And the quiet core can make them quieter.  :thumbs:

But the DMC's look cooler.  :dunno:

Don't ask me, I am the stock boy!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

burnsey

Thanks for the quick response.  What you are telling me is kinda what I thought, but I needed a sounding board before I pull the trigger and spend the dollars.

Aaron, I saw you are from the Springs, there might have been a chance we have met sometime on the trail.  My pic is with some of my riding buddies at Rampart.  I ride rainbow falls often, it is one of my favorite areas to ride.  I hear they are going to be closing part/all of rainbow falls mid summer, due to a spotted owl?

Troy31

There will be some sound tests at Rainbow Falls on may 23rd and June 5th if you want to check where you're at before july 1st. I'm probably gonna take a couple quads out to get checked one of those days cause they're gonna be close.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

burnsey

Thanks for the dates on the sound test, I have a couple of quads in question myself. 

Peelz

Quote from: burnsey on May 14, 2010, 12:35:29 PM
Thanks for the quick response.  What you are telling me is kinda what I thought, but I needed a sounding board before I pull the trigger and spend the dollars.

Aaron, I saw you are from the Springs, there might have been a chance we have met sometime on the trail.  My pic is with some of my riding buddies at Rampart.  I ride rainbow falls often, it is one of my favorite areas to ride.  I hear they are going to be closing part/all of rainbow falls mid summer, due to a spotted owl?

lame
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

From Barkers Site.

Sound level: Typically 103 dB without the silencer, and 94 dB with Quiet Core insert (with a loss of only 1.5 HP you might want to run the Quiet Core all the time!).