Possible to 'Over Grease' Axle Carrier?

Started by Danny T, May 06, 2010, 04:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

So i recently purchased a axle carrier off ebay and it has a grease zerk on it. Of course when you install the carrier into the swingarm you would have to remove the whole assembly again... UNLESS

Ok so unless you drilled a whole in your swingarm like me.... so my question is, if i periodically grease this zerk while the entire axle/carrier is installed will it do any harm? or just squirt the water and excess grease out the sides. I also purchased a rubber plug the same size thats already on the top of the swingarm to plug up the hole i drilled.

Thoughts......

Peelz

I always greased them until I saw a tiny bit of grease pop out of a seal. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

why is there so much grease inside that hole? Seems like it wouldn't do much. And like peels said. I always grease zerks until I see a bit of grease pop out. then good to go. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Danny T

oh i just put grease in the whole for kicks, when i pull out the carrier in a few years should make it a bit easier!

unclesharty

Are the Raptors axle bearings sealed? I know several other quads come with sealed axle bearings but I have yet to tear apart a carrier on a Raptor.

Several aftermarket companies have grease fittings on thier carriers beacause most of them use unsealed roller bearings.

If you're not crashin, you're not ridin hard enough!

Peelz

yep, they are sealed. People grease them just to keep water out of the carrier.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Spartan

I think Funyun should've employed this trick after doing his many submarine acts :lol: I sprayed down my carrier internals with lube after I took my axle out, seems to rotate a lot better now.

Peelz

Quote from: Spartan727 on May 07, 2010, 07:14:47 AM
I think Funyun should've employed this trick after doing his many submarine acts :lol: I sprayed down my carrier internals with lube after I took my axle out, seems to rotate a lot better now.

:lol: +1 I learned my lesson once.  :lol:

Segkast

Too much grease in the carrier can push the bearings out. That's what the instructions on my JJ&A said anyway, just grease until it starts to show, as mentioned above.
Oury grips & Yamalube

Ezkymco

If you've got sealed bearings then there's no chance of any grease getting in, so in theory you could start to push the bearings out and there's no point in having a zerk.

If you've got a zerk then you don't want sealed bearings.  If you haven't got seals then any excess grease should work it's way out the main lip seal.  :thumbs:

Peelz

Quote from: Ezkymco on May 07, 2010, 10:44:54 AM
If you've got sealed bearings then there's no chance of any grease getting in, so in theory you could start to push the bearings out and there's no point in having a zerk.

If you've got a zerk then you don't want sealed bearings.  If you haven't got seals then any excess grease should work it's way out the main lip seal.  :thumbs:

you know....I thought that....then I spent 8 hours one day on a dune trip replacing rusty ass bearings. :( THe back side of the seal had blown out. HAd I kept grease in there, it woulda been okay.

XC_Raptor700R

I drilled and tapped my stock carrier and installed bearings that are only sealed on the outer side.

2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com