Rebuild help

Started by whofarted, March 21, 2010, 07:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whofarted

I'm attempting to install a hc3 and a tech 11:5.1 piston. I noticed when looking down on the crank the one side is new and shiny and the other is blue with a rainbow coloring to it. Should I be concerned about this. Also the inside of the cylinder seems to have some verticle markings. Will this be okay to reuse? Finally how do you get those piston pin clips in? I attached some pics below. Thanx

Spartan

The rainbow coloring is normal, I saw that on my stock crank and a brand new Hot rods +5 mil stroker crank, it's from the heating process in manufacture.

As for the jug, I think the nikisil is wearing off in your cylinder, might need a replate or sleeve. In that case I might consider going big bore and doing something like 105? It is a little extra but you will get more power gains out of that.

jonny_b

yeah in the larger pic here i can see the coating does look like it is wearing off. i would just resleev it. its a little more but it can be bored in case of a catastrophy and honed for every rebuild.

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

+1 to whatthey both said.. in the last pick it looks like the nikasel is wearing off.  not a big deal you can have it replated (if you dont want to go big bore) or you can opt to have it bored out and a sleeve put in as well. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Spartan

The greyish cloudy spots look like the nikisil is wearing off there too...Definitely will need a replating. I would go big bore if money permitted, may as well if you're having machine work done.

As for the crank, it looks normal to me...Here's a pic of my stock crank when I pulled it out with ~50-60 hours

VelociRaptor

The cylinder looks good to me in those 2 pix.

Spartan

I'll of course defer to your opinions, Bo but what's with the haze in one of the pics? It's not as BAD as some I've seen but still looks like it's rubbing off....I have seen a bad cylinder in person before and it had spots like that.

Alkire193

That looks like the reflection off a good nikasil coating. Those vertical lines are in every cylinder that has a few good hours on it. When you are looking at a cylinder that is bad you are looking for this.

Signs that it is bad if you are just riding is:

After a rollover the bike burns a massive fog of oil (oil was able to get around your piston oil rings)
Bike shoots white/blue or black smoke (oil passing by the piston rings due to failed piston rings, improper gapping of piston rings, too much oil added or failed nikasil coating)

How do I know? Ive had it all happen to me at least once, cause I suck at life  :clap: