Gas tank vent venting gas fumes bad and gas hot???

Started by MORAPTOR700, July 06, 2009, 03:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORAPTOR700

Today I took my daughter riding at a state park and she's not the fastest in world but thats OK. I notice a few times my right leg was getting extremely warm probably the exhaust. Well we were going down a hill and the fuel tank light come on and I know it shouldn't because the it was really close to full when we started and we haven't ridden very 1 1/2hrs maybe. So get to the bottom of the hill and go to open the tank and put the vent hose up and some gas drips out and vapor is coming out of the hose like a 1" vapor steam. I open the tank and I heard suck air in like its not venting. So I let it sit for a few mins. with a open tank. Put cap back on and notice the vapor coming out of the vent again and its like making a gurgulling(sp) nose out the vent. Have any of you guys notice this happening? I thinks it was because we were going slow in the woods 1st and 2nd gear and no air moving across things. Also the fan is working fine. I was kinda of scarded that it could blow up as it seemed the gas was boiling. Let me know want you guys think please???
Once I got it out in the opened it up seemed OK. Thanks
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange

Warren

i have noticed and have heard from other guys that bubbling gas in the tank is normal. but that seems like alot of vapors coming out i'm not sure about that.  ???
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

MORAPTOR700

Forgot to mention also during the trail ride that occasionally I would smell gas as it was dripping out the over-flow tube. What scares me about that is the exhaust directly below it somewhere. I don't know if the drops would make it that far or not but I hope they don't.

Alkire193

For me I would worry ONLY if fuel started coming out the breather. And if the quad doesnt stall from lack of fuel getting through the fuel lines, like when a vacuum or suction is applied, then everything is running normal. And my fuel light has come on at random while im riding too. Aggressive riding with rough terrain and uphill/downhill climbs can set it off even if the tank is 3/4 full. I was worried I had a fuel leak but when I shut the bike off and restarted it went out.

Check under the fuel tank, there is a piece of plastic with foil on the bottom facing the engine, just make sure it isnt burned or debonded and the plastic hasnt melted through. Also check on your fuel tank. Shouldnt take more than 25 mins. If anything looks odd, then youve got your answer.  :thumbs:

KDH123

What year is your quad? The early 2006 builds had a different fuel pump in them. They had a vent hole that was too small and it caused the fuel to sound like it was boiling in the tank when it got hot, and in some cases would vapor lock, which would cause you to not be able to start the bike until it had time to vent.  Mine was doing it, I took it to the shop and told them about a service bullitin (don't know where to find it now) that was out and they replaced the pump. No more problems after that.
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
105 mm 12.1 cp shelf piston
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
dual rate stock rebuild rear by Factory Edge
dual rate stock 450 rebuilds front by Factory Edge
+2 a-arms
Lonestart Axecaliber axle
ODI lock on grips, and YES it has a twist!

Krandall

Quote from: KDH123 on July 09, 2009, 07:48:45 AM
What year is your quad? The early 2006 builds had a different fuel pump in them. They had a vent hole that was too small and it caused the fuel to sound like it was boiling in the tank when it got hot, and in some cases would vapor lock, which would cause you to not be able to start the bike until it had time to vent.  Mine was doing it, I took it to the shop and told them about a service bullitin (don't know where to find it now) that was out and they replaced the pump. No more problems after that.

EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, I have the "faulty" pump but I am yet to have any issues.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

MORAPTOR700

Sorry fellows its a 2007. Do you think I would still have the fuel pump issue.

Bert

I also have the faulty fuel pump & it works just fine

You could check you gas cap.  Some guys took the cap apart & removed one of the 3 balls that control venting & said it fixed their problem.  ???