727cc Lock up or what?

Started by Alkire193, June 17, 2009, 07:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Recently I saw some posts about a slipping clutch on a built raptor motor and a lot of back and forth about using a lock up vs stock clutch with tighter springs vs heavy duty clutch vs stock clutch with some shimming and shaving.

My question is, for racing, a lot of on/off, or more motocross riding, what is better on a 727cc? It seems the lock up is more for drag racing and heavy duty clutches are basically trash. But for the money, is a lockup worth it? Or even a practical application on a motor that will be used for MX and hare scramble type riding?

Any thoughts?

air

I have a Gigot Slingshot in my 727 and you really dont even know it is there. I even use stiffer springs with it.
They are worth the money.
Rusty

Krandall

I've been running my 727 on the stock clutch. No slippage yet. It's been over a year w/ the build and it's the original clutch. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kamakazi

Quote from: Krandall on June 17, 2009, 09:04:06 AM
I've been running my 727 on the stock clutch. No slippage yet. It's been over a year w/ the build and it's the original clutch. :thumbs:

the hand guards automatically decrease power output by 25%, i wouldnt listen to what krandall has to say  :rofl:  either way im gonna do a stock clutch with 10% springs on a 727 build and see what happens, preddy is also running stock with 80hp, i cant see there being a problem, id save my money for now.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

VelociRaptor

Once you get to the 75hp mark then its probably a good idea to swap over to something stronger but on MX applications I wouldnt run a lock up.

1badazz_700r

Im running stock clutch and springs with a slingshot lockup :thumbs: as said earlier you dont even realise its in there

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

tonyrt44

my stock clutch 727 setup with 13.5:1 piston has lasted me about 10 weekend of hill shooting and drag racing.
I used 12 Extreme paddles on 22 tires.

replaced the first two fibers and used stiffer springs of a barnett clutch.
Ranking:   ???

Alkire193

Thats what I wanted to know guys, thank you. Ill run the stock until it doesnt work for me, then try increasing the spring rate if she slips a bit. And if somehow shes just way to strong, a lock up next season :)  :clap: :clap:  :thumbs: :thumbs: