Help on changing oil

Started by BackwoodsBoy, October 29, 2008, 10:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackwoodsBoy

I am tired of spending 160 bucks for a service at the stealership. From point a to z, how do I change the oil on the Rappy? I need all the info, ammount of oil, what kind to buy, how to start, anything and everything helps, even pictures. Ive heard its not the easiest to do on the Raptors, and its easy to mess up? Please help!
2007 Rappy SE
A few mods, more to come!

Peelz

I think there is a link to a downloadable service manual posted here. Search the 700 maintenance section.

Warm it up, drain tank and crankcase. fill oil tank, run it for a min or 2. Finish filling tank and checking level.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Peelz

Quote from: GIR on October 30, 2008, 12:11:04 PM
Changing the oil is actually pretty easy.  I've changed it a couple times... Need us to send someone over to show you how it's done?

:lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

step 1: Remove 21MM bolt from crank case
Remove Oil tank drain bolt (either 12mm or 1/2)
Sten 2:Change oil filter on right side of quad (3 6mm allen bolts)
(i use K & N Oil filters from rockymountain ATV for about $7.XX
Step 3: Pour 1 qt oil in the crank case (LARGE 10MM Allen head) & then pour 1qt oil in the oil tank.
Thats 2 Qts TOTAL
BEST Oil is Amsoil full synthetic. i use 10/40.
Others get by just fine with yamalube 20/40

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CRANK CASE DRAIN BOLT. The most common thing done is people stripping this drain bolt out, i did it and so did many other forum members so just be careful when tightening, hand tighten than maybe .50 turns after that.

Good luck its easy, if i can do it a caveman can!

Krandall

go to: pciii.raptorsource.com

Click the Files Link on top. Presto Change-o. Raptor 700 Manual :) :thumbs:

Right click the link and click save as. Adn you can save it to your PC :batman: :batman: :batman:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

kyledvor61

$160 holy shit I just did it in 5 minutes on my yfz :jaw:

monster757

The oil tank is a hoe to drain with a skid plate on.

Peelz

Quote from: monster757 on November 04, 2008, 01:53:43 PM

:lol: that's funny stuff right there.

6 bolts to remove the skid plate or you will have a good sized mess. ;)

Flynbyu

Quote from: Peels660 on November 04, 2008, 04:06:18 PM

+1

Save your money, and oil change shouldn't cost you more than $25 doing it yourself. See service manual in PDF format here:

http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=524.0

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

monster757

yea, i stuck a piece of cardboard under the tank drain and let it run off the cardboard into the oil pan. It spilled a little, but i sprayed it off with the hose

Livingmylife93

Quote from: dmx434343 on October 30, 2008, 12:48:31 PM
step 1: Remove 21MM bolt from crank case
Remove Oil tank drain bolt (either 12mm or 1/2)
Sten 2:Change oil filter on right side of quad (3 6mm allen bolts)
(i use K & N Oil filters from rockymountain ATV for about $7.XX
Step 3: Pour 1 qt oil in the crank case (LARGE 10MM Allen head) & then pour 1qt oil in the oil tank.
Thats 2 Qts TOTAL
BEST Oil is Amsoil full synthetic. i use 10/40.
Others get by just fine with yamalube 20/40

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CRANK CASE DRAIN BOLT. The most common thing done is people stripping this drain bolt out, i did it and so did many other forum members so just be careful when tightening, hand tighten than maybe .50 turns after that.

Good luck its easy, if i can do it a caveman can!

+1

But its a little more than 2 quarts, if i remember right.

double06

Nope, its a little less..  Think its 1.96 (with filter change)  So basically 2 quarts. :thumbs:
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

PROXT

Thats funny cause if u read the manual it dont say anything about putting any oil in the crankcase when doing a oil change. it says put 1.3 litres in engine oil tankfiller hole, and then install and tighten the oil tank filler cap. Start the engine, rev it several times, and then turn it off. Remove the engine oil tank filler cap, and then gradually fill the oil tank with the remaining oil quanity while regularly checking the oil level on the dipstick.

Ranger

You could do that but you run the risk of messing something up if there isn't enough oil in the system or if you overrev it...

Blair

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on November 04, 2008, 04:06:18 PM

1 inch hole saw solved that problem on my skid plate... :)
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -