Pipe Frustration!! PLEASE HELP!!

Started by Leanfactor, May 28, 2009, 08:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leanfactor

So I started putting on my recently purchased goodies, FCI intake, PCV, DRD Slip-on, and Nerf Bars.  Got the FCI Intake in and PCV hooked up, but have ran into a snag with the pipe.  I got the old one off okay, but the new one doesn't have a muffler clamp to clamp the two together and the one on the stock pipe is welded.  I have started to drill out the spot weld and almost got it.  The end on the new pipe arrived a little bent so I am trying to push it out to its original round shape.  I am going to attempt to attach some pictures to show what I am talking about.  My questions are; do I need the muffler clamp? I think yes to prevent exhaust leak.  Do I need the wire mesh deal that was inside the stock pipe?  Looked like it just created a tighter seal.  Any recommendations on how to get the new pipe on the header with it still slightly bent would be greatly appreciated.

Slightly bent pipe inlet

Muffler clamp almost off!

Header end

FCI intake installed    :clap:

Once again, any help would be appreciated.
2008 Raptor 700R
        DRD Slip-on
        AFI Intake
        Powercommander V
2008 Honda TRX700XX - Stock
2008 Raptor 80

AMSOIL in all engines!!

Need Amsoil or have any questions, PM me any time!

Krandall

Fixed the pics, not sure if they are in correct order. :(

I'm pretty sure you should still need a muffler clamp. I would have thought there'd be one included with the other one. But on the other hand. Maybe not. I noticed your header doesn't have any splices in it. So. A muffler clamp isn't going to really crush/squish that slip on end onto the header end.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kamakazi

my white bros system just slipped together with no clamps, works well and no leaks, i think it is so that the piped have a bit of give and flex since the motor moves a bit from the frame.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Leanfactor

Quote from: Krandall on May 28, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
Fixed the pics, not sure if they are in correct order. :(

I'm pretty sure you should still need a muffler clamp. I would have thought there'd be one included with the other one. But on the other hand. Maybe not. I noticed your header doesn't have any splices in it. So. A muffler clamp isn't going to really crush/squish that slip on end onto the header end.

All other pipes I have installed in street bikes had the slits in the pipe so the muffler clamp would squish them together.  I think I will give Steve a call just to be sure, but I think I will use RTV copper to make a seal.  Just need to muscle the pipe on now.
2008 Raptor 700R
        DRD Slip-on
        AFI Intake
        Powercommander V
2008 Raptor 80

AMSOIL in all engines!!

Leanfactor

Got the pipe on finally!  Had to undo the header so that I could push from both ends and twist to get it on.  I used some of the copper RVT at the joint to make sure their was no leak and will test fire tonight before reinstalling all the plastics.
2008 Raptor 700R
        DRD Slip-on
        AFI Intake
        Powercommander V
2008 Raptor 80

AMSOIL in all engines!!

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once