How to remove grips without damaging them?

Started by Livingmylife93, March 19, 2009, 04:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

Im trying to take my stock grips off and put them onto my new bars and dont want to tear them or anything  :help:

Krandall

my old ones were glued on like a mofo.. ended up tearing both... :help:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

desdak4

Sometimes air works really well. If they are glued you are screwed  :D

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Warren

i can twist mine sort of. maybe just try to twist the shit out of them and they might work loose. if that doesn't work i don't know what will.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

robkd

if you can get some warm soapy water on the glue it will help loosen it up.  I used a squirt bottle with the soap/water mix and used a small flat tip screw driver to lift inside edge and soaked them down good and then let it sit.  I left mine for about 2 hrs and then when i came back i was able to twist them back and forth til the glue broke free and poof there off.

nitroceciljr

If they don't have very much glue on them and there is a small hole in the sinter of the end or the grip use an air compressor with a air handle and put the tip in the hole and blow it lol it will inflate the grip and brake the glue bead . . . . . :thumbs:
2007 Raptor 700R SE
Full Trinity Stage lV Exhaust, Trinity Powerflow Kit With K&N, Power Comander 3, Dynatek Digital Ignition, GYTR A-Arm Skids

09RappySE

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq

desdak4

Quote from: nitroceciljr on March 19, 2009, 06:43:32 PM
If they don't have very much glue on them and there is a small hole in the sinter of the end or the grip use an air compressor with a air handle and put the tip in the hole and blow it lol it will inflate the grip and brake the glue bead . . . . . :thumbs:

That is how I have got every pair of my grips off since I started riding

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

who else but rk

dont be cheap man. just buy new grips. there like 10 bucks for good ones
2008 KTM 250xc-f
pumpkin lover

Flynbyu

I've never seen anyone remove the OEM grips without having to tear them off. Pain in the arse, but grips are pretty inexpensive.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Livingmylife93