660 Swingarm Skid Plate Questions

Started by kevinchiesa, February 18, 2009, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinchiesa

I just bought a '02 Raptor 660, and the chain was has been hitting the swingarm skid plate. This skid plate has had its fair share of use and all the welds are cracking and it's very bent up. I am planning to buy a new one and was hoping to get a few recommendations between PRM, Pro Armor, and DG?

My main question though, I haven't been able to find on the forums is, do the Pro Armor plates come with the nylon chain guide? I can see what looks like screws in the picture, but can't see the top side of it. Or should I need the nylon with a new skid plate? Here is a picture of what I am talking about with the Pro Armor.

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

My chain would hit my factory skid plate when not under load...deceleration. As for the new skid, I wish I new if it came with it. I don't think I would want toi ride without the guides though. I would call dealer. Many people make the guides, they are not hard to find. Not too expensive either. Stock might even fit.

And welcome to the site bro!  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kevinchiesa

you say you wouldn't ride without the guides? I took the old aftermarket aluminum skid plate of, it was very bent up and the chain had wore a very deep grove into the aluminum, and was still rubbing on it. Is it bad to ride without one for now? until i find the one i want? Thanks for the help.

Mad Dog

Call Pro Armor, as nice as it'd be to hear from someone who owns this skid you'll likely get a faster answer direct from the source when you're asking about specific attributes of specific products.

In  general the plastic runner is a good idea IMO.  I don't run a skid plate anymore but when I did I liked having the runner on there to keep my chain from being eaten up by the aluminum of the skid plate.  It's what they're for and they work well so long as your chain is well adjusted and your sprocket combo allows some clearance b/w the chain and runner, or you can just put spacers on the bolts of the skid plate for more clearance.

Ideally you'll have enough clearance that it wouldn't matter if you ran it, but the fact that the chain will move around means that the nylon will keep it off the aluminum in those situations.

kevinchiesa

Alright, well thanks for your help, I'm new to the raptor game so I dont know a whole lot about them. I will call Pro Armor Monday morning to figure it out. Until then I will run it without one.

Caliraptor

i had the same skid on the pic, but in quadboss brand....its the SAME THING. well it only lasted me 5 hours before fu*in it up, im goin back with to my old prm, that prm is unbeatable. get the .250 prm skid. cant go wrong with prm. or get the dg baja skid. but yes the pro armor skid does come with that plastic or nylon thingy
Skipping class and tapping ass

fire raptor

Segkast

My PRM came with the nylon guard on it. I can't say for the Pro Armor skid, but just the presence of those rivets would make me assume it does have the nylon guide. Without that it seems somewhat useless... if you've been wearing a groove in your skid with your chain - then I would check out the chain itself for wear too...
Oury grips & Yamalube