Tightening a chain....

Started by TeamYardsale, February 18, 2009, 09:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamYardsale

???
Maybe im a noob, or I missed soemthing, but how do I do the rappy chain a bit tighter?

On the warrior there was 2 tensioner bolts, same thing with my sleds track, the nearest thing on the raptor is 4 allen heads out of the rear swingarm, and before I went and messed it up I figured id ask, those 4 them?

thanks guys!

Luke
07 Yamaha Raptor 700 SE (Org/Blk)
GYTR Oval Race Pipe
GYTR Intake/Billet Adapter
GYTR Full Skids
Cobra Fi200r Fuel Programmer
ITP SS Wheels
Holeshot Tires

Danny T

first you loosen those 4 bolts, then you stick an approiate size item (larger allen wrench or screw driver will do) into 1 of the holes on the sprocket hub. Push the quad forward to loosen, pull it back to tighten. i forgot the spec it needs to be but i usally keep mine about 1in of slak.

Krandall

+1

It's SUPER easy w/ the Rappy.

I just used the allen wrench I used to loosen the 4 bolts stick it in the left side of the bearing carrier and when you push/pull the sprocket hub will hit the allen and twist the carrier to loosen or tighten :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Flynbyu

IF you still have your owners manual, there are detailed instructions located in the maintenance section.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Livingmylife93

Just loosen those 4 bolts and then stick that same allen wrench in the hub, and pull back.  :thumbs:

tonyrt44

Super Easy. just remember not to over tighten those 4 Allen bolts.
and keep the proper play required in the chain. you don't want it super tight
Ranking:   ???

TeamYardsale

Ok, Right now I have a lot of play (I say alot, maybe an Inch?) But itsslapping on my bottom chain slider and I hate that annoying sound.

On my old warrior I ran about 1/2" of chain slack, but I was never really scared of throwing a chain into the case with 18hp, now with almost 40 I think I can, so I dont want to over tighten, is 1/2 to much? Im gonna get a case saver soon.
GYTR Oval Race Pipe
GYTR Full Skids
ITP SS Wheels
Holeshot Tires

Krandall

I don't think you'll have any issues w/ 1/2" :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kamakazi

eve though its a 1/2 inch as soon as you sit on the bike it tightens up and gets tight in a hurry.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Flynbyu

Quote from: TeamYardsale on February 19, 2009, 05:32:26 AM
Ok, Right now I have a lot of play (I say alot, maybe an Inch?) But itsslapping on my bottom chain slider and I hate that annoying sound.

On my old warrior I ran about 1/2" of chain slack, but I was never really scared of throwing a chain into the case with 18hp, now with almost 40 I think I can, so I dont want to over tighten, is 1/2 to much? Im gonna get a case saver soon.

Is the 1/2'' of play when it is in gear or in neutral?

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

TeamYardsale

GYTR Oval Race Pipe
GYTR Full Skids
ITP SS Wheels
Holeshot Tires

jonesi700r

the service manual says, in the nuetral position Measure the drive chain slack halfway between the drive axle and the rear axle, you should have 25 ~ 35 mm (0.98 ~ 1.38 in) of slack. the pinch bolts should be torqued to 15 ft. lbs. in the sequence of left inside, right inside, left outside, right outside. CAUTION: A drive chain that is too tight will overload the engine and other vital parts, and one that is too loose can skip and damage the swingarm or cause an accident. Therefore, keep the drive chain slack within the specified limits.