Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Pics of motor tear down.  (Read 1234 times)

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
Re: Pics of motor tear down.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
I know when I had coolant coming out of my res before I got the head stud kit when I pulled the head and looked at the gasket, I could not see where it was leaking. I had to go over it with a magnifying glass and even then I could not for sure point out the exact spot.  It's tough to say but if I was to take a SWAG..... scientific wild arsed guess  ;) I would say you got a touch off coolant in the bore and it stayed at the rings and when it was sitting with the piston in that location in the bore, it caused a little pitting on the cast iron sleeve.
That's just my guess from looking at the photo.

Randy

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
 And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »
Thanks Randy, makes total since. It did sit a little while before tearing it down. The "rust" spots are spaced the same as the rings.

But, for coolant to get in the cylinder does'nt it have to come from the radiator? My radiator has always been full to the very tip top of the radiator.

Oh well, no since of of picking it to death. I'll send it to Bo to have him take a look at it. Maybe a quick hone will take care of it.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »
Better safe than sorry.
weird that'd happen especially w/ the o-ring I see.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »
Thanks Randy, makes total since. It did sit a little while before tearing it down. The "rust" spots are spaced the same as the rings.

But, for coolant to get in the cylinder does'nt it have to come from the radiator? My radiator has always been full to the very tip top of the radiator.

Oh well, no since of of picking it to death. I'll send it to Bo to have him take a look at it. Maybe a quick hone will take care of it.

Preddy, after giving these old brain cells some more time to ponder this......it could have just been moisture or condensation in the bore and not necessarily a coolant leak. Thinking back, I let mine sit at TDC for an extended time and with the shop getting warm then cool and back and forth. When I tore the head off it had  some moisture in it and slight staining on the coating right where the rings rested. I usually pull the plug out and WD-40 the chit outta the cylinder and rotate the engine a few times just so that won't happen.

Randy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:01:21 PM by RaptorRandy »

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »

Preddy, it could have just been moisture or condensation in the bore and not necessarily a coolant leak.

I let mine sit at TDC for an extended time and with the shop getting warm then cool and back and forth. When I tore the head off it had  some moisture in it and slight staining on the coating right where the rings rested. I usually pull the plug out and WD-40 the chit outta the cylinder and rotate the engine a few times just so that won't happen.

Randy

LOL, just another excuse for me to use some more WD-40 :clap:

Thanks for the help! :thumbs:

Now the fun question. Do you know of anywhere I could read (in depth) on Piston burn patterns. I spent a good deal of time lookin around last night but most of the stuff out there is is for 2-stroke guys.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:05:14 PM by preddy08 »

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
would 2 stroke reading be similar to 4 stroke? or woudl it change completely?

Good read none the less
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10089

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
would 2 stroke reading be similar to 4 stroke? or woudl it change completely?

Good read none the less
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10089

I saw that, but 2-strokes dont really apply a whole lot. Different fuels, chamber designs, intake systems and exhaust systems.

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »
Next time, try putting your camera on "macro" when shooting those up close shots. They won't be blurry and will show really good detail.

:thumbs:

~Brian

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the help! :thumbs:

Now the fun question. Do you know of anywhere I could read (in depth) on Piston burn patterns. I spent a good deal of time lookin around last night but most of the stuff out there is is for 2-stroke guys.

You got me there, I havent see anything online. If I find anything I'll let you know and if you find something before me post a link here  :thumbs:

Randy

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD