Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Need Rear shock help  (Read 943 times)

Offline digitalhearing

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
Need Rear shock help
« on: December 14, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
I am having a hard time stiffening up my rear end. I have a +6 swingarm and have flipped the link and extended the dog bone all to lower the rear end of the bike, it's sitting just right BUT when I screw down the preload rings on the spring, the shock is still too mushy. When I launch off the line the chain gets soo loose that it tries to jump a tooth. Is there a recommended spring that would work or do I need a different shock? Any ideas are appreciated.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Need Rear shock help
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »
eat some cheese, drink some cheap whiskey, "rear end" will "stiffen" right up.  :rofl: Sorry

Do you have compression adjustment?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:52:46 PM by Peels660 »
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
Are you running the stock shock still?  ???

I'm pretty sure you may want to look into having that sucker revalved. W/ the added leverage of a +6 I don't know if there's a way you can compensate.. I know SandDragon has a +8 and running his stock shock still. But he did't lower it any. the thing squated a bit, but not to the point of skipping.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Onelunglow

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »
Wouldn't a chain roller/guide help stop the chain from trying to skip?
06 - White Raptor
04 - Green KFX80
92 - White/Blue Banshee
88 - Lt500 Drag quad (ski-doo - 809 installed)

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »
Not in this case, i do have a chain guide but it's still too much slop in the chain.  I have decided to have the shock reworked with a stiffer spring or maybe a spacer, I'll know more when Josh at wiigstyleracing looks at it and tests the shock.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline SandDragon

• Poison Control Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
I flipped the link, with the YFZ shocks on the front it sits nice and level.  1st question I will ask, are you tensioning the chain while sitting on the bike?  If not, once a load is applied it will create considerable slack, especially with the long arms.  2nd, how much do you weigh?  I'm in the 175 range.  Everybody said I would have to have my shock re-done... but I have had no issue shock wise thus far.  I have had some issues with the tooth skip... but it was always chain tension related.  IMO it is a 2 part deal.  a- the chain is gonna stretch, new chains will grow inches in the first couple rides.  b- I had problems with my carrier "lossening".  I had to make sure the bolts were really tight.  Pops told me the very first time I put some real torque to the new chain I would have to tighten it... he was right.  My solution to date it to keep the chain considerably tighter than stock specs... like nice and snug (i.e. like 1/2" of slack rather than <1") while I sit on the bike.  I also played with the knobs on the shock.  I know it's not rocket science... but it was a pain in the ass to figure out.  My rebound is tight is the only way I can say it. 

Ultimately I re-sprung and re-valved shock would be the way to go... but in 300' I don't hit many bumps.  LOL  The stocker works for me for what I do.  I do dune my bike just like every body else... but I'm not gonna try to convince you that it is a smooth ride.  Hopefully this helps.  :batman:

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:55:04 PM »
I have not set the chain tetion while I am sitting on the bike.  I have the chain very tight though with virtually no slop in the  chain, most would feel my chain and think it was way too tight.  The problem is with the flipped link AND the longer extended dog bone, it dropps too far when I am sitting on it, and even more when I dump the clutch.  I talked to Josh at Wiigstyleracing and he said anything over a +3 swingarm, it should be stiffened up.  I am 175lbs.  I'm sending this shock to him today, i'll report back after Christmas seeings we are riding for 6 days over the break.  Thanks for all the ideas and concern.  I hope I can help someone else down the road if this respring and revalving works!

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline SandDragon

• Poison Control Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:02:10 AM »
Please do give a report back as to your findings.  I always hear shock this and shock that... but from much heavier fellas.  I would be really curious to see what someone my own weight experiences on a long arm shock replace/revalve.  :thumbs:

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »
I will for sure let you know.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !