Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Rappy getting ready for rally race!!!  (Read 1075 times)

Offline francky2000

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Rappy getting ready for rally race!!!
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:44:56 AM »
Hey,

we are keeping our website updated with the latest mod for the preparation of my rappy for the UAE desert challenge rally.
http://www.adventure-rally.com/spip.php?article184

feel free to make your comments and suggestions.

cheers!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Rappy getting ready for rally race!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
comment: SWEEEET!
suggestion: bring me along to ride it!

good luck, and post pics
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline rutcutter

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »
Now though are fuel tanks!!!!!
08 Grey 700R
Web 4 Cam
PCIII
Dynatek Prog. Ign. custom curve
Kenny's +3 Throttle body
Kenny's evac valve
FCI intake
Barker dual exhaust
Racers Edge12:1 piston
Racers Edge CNC porting
Ferrea +2 intake and exhaust valves
Kibble White valve springs
Hot Rod +5 stroker crank

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
Good luck to you  :thumbs:

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
 And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Offline francky2000

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:48 AM »

Thanks for your comments!  :thumbs:
It hapens that they are FIM rules about nerf bars fuel tank. The tank must be 25 mm inside the nerf bars...mine were not. so at two weeks from the race we have to cut and modify them to fit the rule....I am telling you this race is a big commitment!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline francky2000

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »

Here is the bike fully ready for the race.

Offline francky2000

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »

Briefly the race has been a total failure for me. After a good start at the prologue where i finish 4th in the quad class, the first day of the race was really fast. Made at 80% of gravel track and 20% open desert. But i ran out of fuel on the kilometer 236 just 15 kms away from the refueling point. At first i was surprise the rappy drunk so much fuel. After 2H the sweep cars gave me some fuel and let me go for the last 100kms. But the bracket holding the road book was getting loose making the navigation really hard...i missed four waypoint and had 40min penalty for that....that was a bad start.
On day two I realise that the bike was not drinking too much, it was just that the fuel was coming out of myt tanks. I interconnect two injection pump but one is leaking in the other refueling the opposite tank...so when its full it is just coming out through the breather...i was more carefull with this to save on fuel when sudenly the main pump stop working...after a shrt stop i noticed that the vibration had cut of the power supply of the pump on my relay. again not the best performance but every body got its own issues i went back from the 16th to the 11th position.
On day three the special stage starts very well there is no problem with this damned fuel system and the quad is speeding through the open desert but only after 50kms I start having trouble when i am running on the auxiliary tank...i should be able to ride 200kms on those not 50!!! I swtich to the main tank and ride softer to save on fuel and reach the refueling point lucky this day it was not too far. I will have to manage fuel to be able to finish the special. the first 60kms after the refuel where done at full throttle until i swith back to the main pump riding slowly to finish the stage...surprisingly I finish 5th that stage taking me to the 7th overall.
After dismantling in the evening we saw the filter in the botom of the tank was broken allowing me to suck half of my tank...we decide to modify the system and use the fuel pump to pump the fuel back to the main tank. from than day everything was fine with the fuel.
Day 4 I know I can push hard on the throttle there will be no issue. I finish my special stage at the second position coming back to the 6th overall! I deffinitle got a chance to end on the top five if i keep on ridig this way tomorrow...
Day 5 the challenge is here. I have 38 min to get to reach the 4th overall and i am ready to fight to get it. To avoid fuel issue i stop at the fuel pump to top up the tanks. When i left riding slowly to save the bike and my energy a heard a small noise coming from the engine...i look down, smoke is coming out badly i stop on the side. I first thought i burst the shock hose on the exhaust and beleive I can finish the day with a damage shock but the oil does not look like shock oil pushing me to have a better look...yeah that's right this is engine oil and I can see right under the starter a big hole the size of my thumbe in the crank case...this is the end of the race for me...
It is hard to finish this way but at least I know knao I can compete with some of the best riders in the region and got a great experience for next year....

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:12:27 PM »
woah. sounds like a tough time...but still a great experience!

How did the hole get there?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline francky2000

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:03:43 AM »
A piece of the gearbox went through it!! I cannot beleive this can happen to the rappy it is the first time i got such a problem.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:25 AM »
A piece of the gearbox went through it!! I cannot beleive this can happen to the rappy it is the first time i got such a problem.

I have never heard of that happening to a 700.

Thanks for the story, though it ended bad, it was neat to see a rappy in full rally race gear. :thumbs:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
Dang, Sorry to hear for all the troubles Francky.. But that's all part of the race system :lol:

Race it. Brake it. Make it better. lather, Rinse, and repeat. :lol:  ;)

sounds like a heck of a race. What kind of temps do you race in?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

I would say I'm suprised by the failure of the gearbox, but no one I know of runs a rappy in that type of endurance racing in those extreme conditions. 

Very cool Francky, I'm very jealous.

Aaron

Offline francky2000

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »
Dang, Sorry to hear for all the troubles Francky.. But that's all part of the race system :lol:

Race it. Brake it. Make it better. lather, Rinse, and repeat. :lol:  ;)

sounds like a heck of a race. What kind of temps do you race in?

Yeah next time will be better for sure. the temp was around 100F but i have to say i got used to it i have been practicing the whole summer it can reach 112f!!