Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: First ride on new build, handful of problems. (Autotuner, idle, oil leak)  (Read 1841 times)

Offline 07lightning

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
i have the kms kit, are they hardened?

my build is near 70 also. in fact, someone just made 70 with it on pump gas...

i bought the studs for security too, but if the studs did not cause this, then what did? it was installed on clean, flat surfaces. i know the head was good, and the cylinder had only been exposed this one time since new and it was clean. im finishing the disassembly tonight, it made me too pissed last night.

Offline 07lightning

• Email
i think the pics show pretty it pretty decent. what do you guys make from the pics? parts of the piston are clean and parts have lots of build up. give me your thoughts..  there is a spot on the gasket you can see had some heat being pushed through it. im not sure if theres a clear answer to what happened or not.. so here is pics. i think the copper spray f'd it up partially..

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:49:20 PM by 07lightning »

Offline DL700

• Street Cred: 5
    • Email
DO NOT use copper spray on the OEM gaskets... thats your problem IMO... oil the nuts and washers when installing....
i only torque the studs to 35 lbs
CUERVO RACING

Offline 07lightning

• Email
ok. ill give that route a shot. thanks

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
 I agree with not using copper spray.  It will not hold back combustion pressure. If it is gonna leak combustion pressure, it will leak. It seals water passages ok. I highly recommend not using studs or over torquing factory fasteners unless you are running high boost or nitrous. The higher you torque the head bolts, the shorter engine and ring life get. It pulls the cylinder out of round at factory torque specs, and gets worse as you go higher. I have both cylinders and rings here with clear proof......

The answer is good engine prep. I have highlighted the main offending areas that are causing the Cometics ( and sometimes OEM) to fail. The red area will be a low spot and the blue areas will be high spots that hold the head and cylinder slightly apart, reducing clamping force on the gasket. The Cometic is very unforgiving, the OEM is far better, but does occasionally fail due to this.

KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline 07lightning

• Email
good info kenny, thank you. for the record, i can say ive never had a head gasket problem before. i know my prep was good. im guessing the copper seal caused my issues.

ill put it together again friday with a dry oem gasket and stock bolts i think. if i use my studs, im going back down to 35.

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
After this weekend we should have this head gasket deal whipped..... The new gaskets should be at tonto13's house before the weekend. It is a full composite gasket with a crimped stainless fire ring. This kind of deal has caused a huge amount of grief for Raptor owners :( The new gasket should put a stop to this even with the biggest bore kits :clap:

KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan: