Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Attaining most p-v clearance, questions  (Read 570 times)

Offline 07lightning

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Attaining most p-v clearance, questions
« on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
i recently purchased a ported head. long story short, its been milled to shit. im looking for my thickest base gasket/head gaskets.

im going to double up the base gaskets with some copper seal. from what i've read briefly, the oem stuff seems to be the thickest torqued?

what is my best option here? i havent gotten it to clay yet, but im not real optimistic at the moment.

Offline VelociRaptor

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Re: Attaining most p-v clearance, questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »
Clay it up and do a quick assembly on it and see how much clearance you have. You need .080" or more P2V clearance. Stacking base gaskets and/or running thicker head gaskets will help this but hurt quench on the chamber from the piston and power and effeciency will suffer. Stacking base gaskets doesnt require a sealer since theres not alot of pressure there to cause leaks- I know of one guy that forgot to put his on and didnt realize it until after it was runnin when he seen the pack on the table lol. He asked me about it and I asked him if it was leaking any and he said no so I told not to worry about it unless it starts to leak. He called me over a year ago I guess and I havent heard any different from him. I dont rcommend assembling the engine without it on purpose though lol.

Offline 07lightning

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »
ok good deal. i use copper spray everytime for safety when assembling. ill clay it up and let it tell the tale.

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »
I would ideally like to see you at .085" exh/.060" int or better :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154