Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Breaking News Thread Version 2.0  (Read 124397 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Breaking News Thread Version 2.0
« Reply #855 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:14 AM »
Shit is getting real over in S. Korea...

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Hours after North Korea's deadly artillery attacks, South Korea's president said "enormous retaliation" is needed to stop Pyongyang's incitement, but international diplomats urgently appealed for restraint.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory," President Lee Myung-bak said at the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs of Staff here, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

"Given that North Korea maintains an offensive posture, I think the army, the navy and the air force should unite and retaliate against [the North's] provocation with multiple-fold firepower."

The incident "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

It has prompted great concern across South Korea and in the United States, which has 28,500 troops deployed in South Korea.

Two South Korean marines were killed and 15 South Korean soldiers and civilians were wounded when the North fired about 100 rounds of artillery at Yeonpyeong Island in the Yellow Sea, South Korea authorities. The attack also set houses and forests on fire on the island.

South Korea's military responded with more than 80 rounds of artillery and deployed fighter jets to counter the fire, defense officials said.

Firing between the two sides lasted for about an hour in the Yellow Sea, a longstanding flash point between the two Koreas. In March, a South Korean warship, the Cheonan, was sunk in the area with the loss of 46 lives in a suspected North Korean torpedo attack.

Lee called "indiscriminate attacks on civilians are a grave matter."

"Reckless attacks on South Korean civilians are not tolerable, especially when South Korea is providing North Korea with humanitarian aid," Lee said, according to Yonhap.

"As for such attacks on civilians, a response beyond the rule of engagement is necessary. Our military should show this through action rather than an administrative response" such as statements or talks, he said.

After the incident, Yonhap said the Seoul government "banned its nationals from entering the communist state, indefinitely postponed their scheduled Red Cross talks and began looking at ways to push the United Nations to condemn Pyongyang."

This latest action occurred during South Korean maritime military drills. North Korea said the incident stemmed from those exercises, codenamed Hoguk, and called the activity "war maneuvers for a war of aggression."

The "South Korean puppet group" engaged in "reckless military provocation" by firing "dozens of shells" inside its territorial waters "despite the repeated warnings of the DPRK" or Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's military said in a statement.

"The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK standing guard over the inviolable territorial waters of the country took such decisive military step as reacting to the military provocation of the puppet group with a prompt powerful physical strike," the statement said.

"It is a traditional mode of counter-action of the army of the DPRK to counter the firing of the provocateurs with merciless strikes," said the statement, which warned that it "will unhesitatingly continue taking merciless military counter-actions against it" if the border is crossed.

A senior U.S. defense official said South Korea informed North Korea before firing its first artillery rounds, as part of that training mission, and that "there's no reason North Korea should have been surprised by this firing of artillery."

The U.S. military does not publicly announce its military posture or "state of readiness," but no changes have been observed from what U.S. forces in Korea were doing before this attack. The official says North Korea has a history of unpredictable behavior, and that "in some ways this is not surprising for them."

Some U.S. forces had been helping the South Koreans in their training exercises, but were not in the shelled area.

Stephen Bosworth, the U.S. special envoy on North Korean denuclearization, urged restraint on both sides when he spoke to reporters about the incident. He was in Beijing to discuss nuclear matters with Chinese diplomats.

"The U.S. strongly condemns this aggression on the part of North Korea and we stand firmly with our allies. The subject did, of course, come up in my meetings with the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I think we both share the view that such conflict is very undesirable. I expressed to them the desire that restraint to be exercised on all sides and I think we agree on that."

This incident comes after a U.S. scientist reported that North Korea has a new uranium enrichment facility. North Korean officials said the facility is operating and producing low-enriched uranium, according to Stanford University Professor Siegfried Hecker.

The enrichment facility contains 2,000 centrifuges and appears to be designed for nuclear power production, "not to boost North Korea's military capability," Hecker says.

But U.S. and South Korean diplomats said the latest revelation confirms the country's long-term deceit.

Sanctions have been progressively placed on North Korea in response to a succession of nuclear and missile tests and the sinking of the South Korean warship in March.

The United States said it would not dismiss restarting six-party talks aimed at denuclearizing the North. However, it said it would not return to negotiations unless North Korea showed good faith.

Countries that had been negotiating with North Korea over its nuclear program issued swift reaction. The six-party talks include both Koreas, the United States, Russia, Japan, and China.

The United States "strongly" condemned North Korea's action, and a U.S. Defense Department official told CNN that the "hope is that this is just one isolated incident, not an escalation into a different military posture" by the North.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said China had "taken note of relevant reports" and expressed its "concern." "Relevant facts need to be verified and we hope both parties make more contributions to the stability of the peninsula," he said.

Russia's Interfax news agency said Russia condemned North Korea's artillery shelling and said "those who initiated the attack on a South Korean island in the northern part of the inter-Korean maritime border line assumed enormous responsibility."

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan's cabinet held a ministerial meeting and Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito Sengoku announced a government statement condemning North Korea and calling the act "unpardonable."

Asked whether the violence in the Yellow Sea would make resumption of six-party talks more difficult, Bosworth said, the "resumption of the six-party talks has never been an easy process." A formal round of talks was last held a few years ago.

"We strongly believe that a multilateral diplomatic approach is the only way to realistically to resolve these problems."

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged that "any differences should be resolved by peaceful means and dialogue."

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #856 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
read that earlier this AM....  they just need to get some snipers to creep into the DMZ and start pickin them off 1 by 1.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: November 23, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
read that earlier this AM....  they just need to get some snipers to creep into the DMZ and start pickin them off 1 by 1.

You play too many Video Games :lol:

The DMZ is the worlds largest minefield....you go first!! :rofl:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: November 23, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
mah bad. just reading about it now :lol:

I say let a fleet of kittens go first :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #859 on: November 23, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
I'd rather send a fleet of 700xx in there first! :lol:
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #860 on: November 23, 2010, 10:45:06 AM »
Finally a use for all those Polaris Predators on Craiglist.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: November 23, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Finally a use for all those Polaris Predators on Craiglist.

lol

the polaris minesweeper edition.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: November 23, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
For Peelz:

I gotz yo redcard in meh britches.....

LONDON -- The harshest punishment soccer players can usually expect for berating a referee is a suspension or fine -- not 24 weeks in jail.

But then most players don't respond to the threat of a red card by driving a car on the field and at the official.

Amateur player Joseph Rimmer became incensed by a referee's refusal to award a free kick during a February game between Lonsdale and Harrington in northwest England. Rimmer thought he was about to be penalized by referee David Harkness, so he told him: "If you book me or send me off, you know what will happen."

Not likely.

Rimmer, who works as fitness instructor and nightclub doorman, stormed off, fetched his Range Rover and drove it across the grass. Harkness was not hurt.

Witnesses statements read in court said people reacted with "panic and fear" and some had to run to get out of Rimmer's way.

"Before he could be shown the red card, the defendant stated, 'I'm going to run you down,' then walked off the pitch," prosecutor Derek Jones said. Rimmer was sentenced in Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday.

Harkness remains shaken.

"After 35 years, I now fear I cannot continue as a referee," he said in a statement. "I have not slept through fear that the defendant will find out where I live and carry out his threat to shoot me."

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2010, 02:40:28 PM »
YES !!!!!!!
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
My own dad red carded me once in a match. Maybe I shoulda tried this! :lol: 
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #865 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Airsoft sniper....just sayin'

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7312699.html

More than 8,300 rounds of ammo seized at border

BROWNSVILLE — Federal officers seized more than 8,300 rounds of live ammunition and 17 firearms over a two-day period at border crossings this week.

At the Hidalgo International Bridge on Tuesday, officers seized six assault rifles, a handgun and 21 ammunition magazines hidden inside a pickup truck that was being driven out of the country. The 23-year-old driver, a U.S. citizen from McAllen, was held for further investigation.

The same day, eight assault rifles, two handguns, 87 ammo magazines and 1,574 rounds of live ammo were found in an outgoing sport utility vehicle. A 29-year-old U.S. citizen living in Reynosa, Mexico, was held.

And on Wednesday, officers at the Brownsville Port of Entry stopped an outbound sedan and discovered 6,825 rounds of machine gun ammo hidden in the dash. A 38-year-old U.S. citizen from Brownsville was held.

---------------------

What exactly is "machine gun ammo?"  .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, 30.06, 8x57 Mauser, .50 BMG, 12 gauge, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm?  They are being a bit vague here as I seen all these calibers used in automatics.  But hey, it's make for a great line.  ERMAHGERD!  MACHINE GUN AMMO!  With 6800 rounds of ammo I'd guess it's either a small caliber or a vehicle with an abnormally large dash.   :lol:

"Ammo magazines"  Who wrote this friggin' article?  A twelve year old? 

mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #867 on: November 27, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »
(CNN) -- A Marine Corps reservist helping in a "Toys for Tots" drive was stabbed Friday when he grappled with a fleeing shoplifting suspect, authorities in Augusta, Georgia, said.

Cpl. Phillip Duggan, 24, suffered a single stab wound. He was treated and released from the hospital later Friday, Sgt. Dan Carrier of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office said. "He's doing fine."

The suspect attempted to conceal property and was confronted by Best Buy employees, authorities said. An employee struggled with the suspect, who brandished a knife. The employees backed away from the armed man to prevent any injury to themselves or customers, Carrier told CNN.

Duggan and several other Marines wearing their dress blues were conducting the annual toy drive in the breezeway of the Best Buy when they heard the commotion and saw the suspect flee through the store entrance, Carrier said.

Duggan tackled the suspect and other Marines also moved to stop the suspect, who stabbed Duggan once in the middle of his back, close to his spine, Carrier said.

"They jumped on top of him, and they pulled him down," said "Toys for Tots" volunteer Larry Frelin.

"It took about five different people on top of him, but unfortunately he had a knife. He brought the knife around and managed to get it in the back of the Marine," Frelin told CNN affiliate WRDW.

Tracey Attaway, 39, was in custody Friday night and was charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime, authorities said.

CNN was unable to reach Duggan or the Attaway residence late Friday.

"Most people who shoplift don't take it to this extreme," Carrier said.

CNN's Phil Gast contributed to this report.

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: November 28, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7312699.html

More than 8,300 rounds of ammo seized at border

BROWNSVILLE — Federal officers seized more than 8,300 rounds of live ammunition and 17 firearms over a two-day period at border crossings this week.

At the Hidalgo International Bridge on Tuesday, officers seized six assault rifles, a handgun and 21 ammunition magazines hidden inside a pickup truck that was being driven out of the country. The 23-year-old driver, a U.S. citizen from McAllen, was held for further investigation.

The same day, eight assault rifles, two handguns, 87 ammo magazines and 1,574 rounds of live ammo were found in an outgoing sport utility vehicle. A 29-year-old U.S. citizen living in Reynosa, Mexico, was held.

And on Wednesday, officers at the Brownsville Port of Entry stopped an outbound sedan and discovered 6,825 rounds of machine gun ammo hidden in the dash. A 38-year-old U.S. citizen from Brownsville was held.

---------------------

What exactly is "machine gun ammo?"  .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, 30.06, 8x57 Mauser, .50 BMG, 12 gauge, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm?  They are being a bit vague here as I seen all these calibers used in automatics.  But hey, it's make for a great line.  ERMAHGERD!  MACHINE GUN AMMO!  With 6800 rounds of ammo I'd guess it's either a small caliber or a vehicle with an abnormally large dash.   :lol:

"Ammo magazines"  Who wrote this friggin' article?  A twelve year old? 

Sounds like they raided my basement. :rofl:

Maybe the "machine gun" ammo was belted?  :lol:  Yea, get your facts straight before you report it to the public.

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
Maybe the "machine gun" ammo was belted?  :lol:  Yea, get your facts straight before you report it to the public.

Hey, I've got machine gun ammo.   :)  Just a little bit anyway, somebody gave a chick at work a small section of 5.56 all linked, maybe two feet long.  She didn't really want it so she gave it to me.  I'm an outlaw!  ERMAHGERD!  I have machine gun ammo.  Now I need some ammo clips filled with *gasp* LIVE ammunition.  Having an actual firearm... er.. GUN would be too hardcore for me though.

:rofl:
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury