Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: all show,no go..  (Read 4549 times)

Offline spdraycr

• Street Cred: 0
  • speed....i am speed
    • Email
all show,no go..
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »
ok family,heres the deal.03 660 and all was great.dunked her a few times(not by choice) and hasnt been rite since.i have changed the starter relay because it went bad.changed the spark plug also because it looked crispy.ran one tank of oil as a follow up precaution and attempted to run a second.she started and ran fine for approx ten mins or so in my garage,maybe more,and then she just quit on me.has enough good gas,cleaned carbs and new spark plug.has full yoshi race exhaust,full k-n intake set up and already dyno jetted.hopefully its something simple and somebody can possibly help me..thanks
drive it like ya stole it..

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
Re: all show,no go..
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
hey guys,is this something that nobody have come across before....anybody have any idea at all to help get me riding again.... :( :'( ???

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
Is the oil in there kinda milky at all ? Might take more than one change to get all that shit out ? Can you confirm you're getting gas in both float bowls ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
Won't start at all now, or does it run for a short period and cut off ? Look into some other stuff too, not jsut what the water might have directly effected. Could be something was about ready to go anyway, and your dunks might have just been either coincedence, or the straw that breaks the camel's back kinda thing too...

Battery have a good full charge/terminals connectors are clean and tight ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »
Does it turn over?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:49:55 AM »
sorry took so long to reply..internet problems at house and service tech just left....yes oil was milky before i changed it,but is fine after 2nd change.battery needs to be changed,but is ok as long i have a jump on it.bike ran for about 15-20 mins real good.started rite up as soon as i changed spark plug.throttle response was on point too.then she just cut off.has half tank of gas.swithed to reserve on tank just incase,but nothing.seems to want to start,but not getting gas.made sure spark is there and it is-very strong.just seems like maybe not getting gas.how can i tell and be sure that shes getting enough gas if any at all...i did clean the carbs as best as i could without being able to take the throttle cable off the side.took the bolts off,but couldnt get it off.took carbs off and apart and cleaned well.im just kinda stumped at this point.... ???

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
A carbed quad is easy to trouble shoot, you need 2 things for it to run, a good spark and gas,  you have the spark, now time to find out why it's not getting gas. I'd pull the carbs off once more to make sure there's not water in the floats. If you got water in your gas tank, chances are it went down into the bowls

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
i took out spark plug and shot sum gas in there and replaced plug and she turned over on second try and started rite up.then it cut off,but that tells me that im not getting fuel through for some reason.gonna take carbs off again and also remove jetts to make sure they arent clogged.im gonna assume that the bowls are the bottom of the carbs.but im still trying to fully remove the throttle cable.took out both screws and it slides off some,but i cant seem to fully remove it so i can work on the carbs mor efficently..any idea how to get that fully off..?

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
I removed the throttle cable from the carbs once... I won't do it again though. I thought it would make it easy, but getting that bitch back in/on there was more trouble than it was worth damnit :lol: You need to get into the assembly at the side of the carb to detach this. Honestly, might be easier to disconnect the OTHER end of the cable, and just let that long thing hang on there while you work with the carbs ? Like I said, I did it at the carb once, and won't do it again...

I would definately take a look at the jets to be sure they aren't clogged. Check the pilot jets too, not just the mains. Use some good carb or even brake cleaner in pinch and make sure they're totally clear.

Yes, the bowls are on the bottom of the carb. Inside each of the bowls there is a plastic 'float'. Each of those floats has a tiny metal spring (or 'tang') holding the float into position at the pivot point. These can easily bend out of whack and not allow the fuel to flow properly. Mine got bent over the winter without being ridden since it was running great- go figure ... it happens. Take a look at this if you're not getting gas into the carbs.

When my tang was bent ( LOL... I love sayin that) , I was getting gas to the right carb just fine, while the left was bone dry. I could force it to start and run by 'choking' the carbs with my hand, and could tell I was getting gas to the right carb, but even choking it out, my left carb was still dry. In the end it was that tiny-ass little tang keeping the float locked into place.

Moral of the story: If you wanna ride, be sure to take care of your tang ! LMFAO...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:28:41 PM by SegKast »
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
tang..lol.ok,thanks for that heads up.i will defnitely leave that cable be.im going to take the jetts out and clean everything again.will post again as soon as i do..wish me luck with this tang..lol..  :lol:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Good Luck man ! I won't be able to get back at you until Monday to check in on how it went unless I'm still here at work. I reccommend a nice board, even a 2x4 to lay across the frame to set the carbs on (upside down) to work on...makes life easier (I keep mine with my ATV tool box :lol:).

Also, if you haven't done it yet...replace those shitty brass screws on the carb bowls with some good hex-heads. After stripping mine out (the FIRST TIME I rejetted !!!) , and then struggling with vice-grips for like a year I finally went and bought some hex-heads and it seriously has cut my time in half as far as changing jets... Lifesaver in my case...
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
ok cool man.thanks for all the help....wish me luck!!!(insert BIG cheessy smile)...

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »
:D <----------- This one ? :lol:

How'd it go, any luck ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline spdraycr

• speed....i am speed
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
well i took the carbs off and cleaned them.saw some gunk where it shouldnt have been and cleaned it out.put it all back together and she started rite up.idled high and motor raced for a few,but she went back to normal.took her up the block and around the block a few times and all was well.but then after about a half hour of riding and idiling,she missed a few times.when i went to give her gas,she cut off again.so i started her up,and she cut off again.so at that point it had gotten alil late so i wrapped things up and will attempt to trouble shoot more today.seems kinda wierd to me and its past annoying,but im not gonna give up.shes got more than enough gas,but it seemed like something was holding up my fuel again.one other thing was that the bowl on the left side of the bike keeps leaking fuel.i tap it with a screwdriver,but still leaks.so i backed the screw out,tapped a few times,then screwed it back in and all was well.so i know that im getting fuel into and through out the carbs.ges i will find out later whats up huh....

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »
check your plug to see if it is black.

Float stuck as well?

Will it run ok at high rpm?  Does it just miss right when you give it gas?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"