Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Hard starting 01 660  (Read 902 times)

Offline tazz001

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Hard starting 01 660
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »

Recently bought a used 660 for one of the boys. It was suppose to have rebuilt engine (bored and freshened up). It was a hard starting beast when we looked at it but was reasonably priced. Had to grab it.

So, the kid wants to run his bike with dad and siblings but foesn't go cuz it takes forever to start if at all. Usually he starts it by pulling it with a 4wd model. When it starts it runs great. once running it will start all day w/o any issues.

Raptor has great spark, lots of fuel and yes the vavle lash was just checked and readjusted. When cranking it sputters and coughs but no firing up. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what else to look at.

At this point we are looking into the cam/crank timing and wondering if its of a tooth or 2 as when cranking it occasionally sounds like firing in the exhaust.

Thanks for these forums...they are a great tool to track down issues with problem bikes

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Hard starting 01 660
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
spark plug okay? Could be carb related. THe idle a/f screws below each carb may be way off. Been awhile...but I think they should be 2-2.5 turns out. That and having the idle set low could cause hard starting. THe carbs are not terribly difficult to work on the 660 should you have to..

one of the Other issues with them: intake boot between carb and head could be leaking. Mine had that.

Are there any modifications done?

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Try adjusting the valve lash, intake and exhaust.

Offline AJ RAPTOR

• Street Cred: 1
  • 660R let the monster out
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
when mine was hard to start (it would try to turn over then give up and act like the batt. was dead till it got to tdc then it would fire up really easy when it got warmed up most of the time) but it turned out to be my auto decompressure was sticking and not working right aswell as hydro locking at the same time ofcourse i found that out after it went flying out of the head.
04 Raptor 660
bored to 673cc
11:1 wiseco high compression piston
port and polished head
stage 2 uni airfilter
stage 2 dynojet intake kit
stock pipe guts removed
protaper atv highbend bars
kenda knarly tires
0 - +3 team firestick axle
powermadd handgards
alx and gytr skids and nerfs

theres 2 kinds of riders, thouse that ride up to there skill level and thouse who crash down to it.

Offline tazz001

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:13:37 AM »
Yep valve lash was checked and dbl checked. as for what mods have been done....we are unsure about that as we have never touched the engine. It does have an aftermarket exhaust and Uni filter assembly. Its been bored out .60 over. Cam...couldn't tell you. Compression...again couldn't tell you.

The guys ae looking at the decompression stuff and crank/valve timing. This isn't anything that just started...it's been a hard starter since we got it. Usually end up pull starting it and then will start all day but not easily.

Thanks for the replies. I will get hubby to check the ait/fuel screws. I am going to get some new plugs for it anyway....better safe than sorry there.