Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Should I buy this Raptor?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Penrod

• Street Cred: 0
Should I buy this Raptor?
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:12:06 PM »
Hey Guys first post here and potential Raptor 660 owner.

I've come across a 660 Raptor that a friend of a friend owns and has been trying to sell for awhile now. He's asking 3500 but he gave me the old "I'll let it go for 3000 today" routine.. I have 2300 right now and I will have the rest this Wednesday.

I'm supposed to be going over in the morning to give the friend the 2300 cash.. so the other friend will hold the bike for me until I get the rest of the money.

Info on the bike, I don't know a lot about it as I was kind of awe struck the first time I saw it. I don't know the year but it's has red and white plastics and looks brand new. I couldn't find a scratch and it still has the stock tires with tons of tread. He does have the title and says I will get it when he gets the rest of the money.

Now.. I've found several 660's on craigslist around here in the $2300-$3000 range. I'm trying to find out if I'm getting screwed or if I'm getting what I'm paying for.

I've given them my word that I would bring them the money tomorrow, I don't like to break my word, or look like I'm pulling out on the deal by waiting till Wednesday to give them the money. I don't think the guy would try and screw me, and I don't want to have to burn any ones house down... But I haven't even ridden this bike yet, should I be handing over $2300 cash with no record whatsoever?

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Should I buy this Raptor?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »
Red/White plastics makes it an 04 or 05, quick and easy way to tell the difference is to look at the parking brake lever if he's got one still, the 04 model will have a small horizontally acting lever you move with your index finger on the clutch perch.  The 05 will have a large lever that you flip vertically.  You can also tell from the 10th digit of the VIN, the # will be the year, so a 4 means it's a 2004.

Sounds like you're paying on the high side for this bike, judging from what you found on craig's list and what people normally pay for stock 660's out my way.  However without knowing where you are, or having ANY useful details or pictures of the quad it's very hard for me to make a valuation on the machine from the internet.  Check the frame for stress marks, cracks etc.  Go over it with a fine tooth comb, and make sure it runs well.  Take it for a ride if you haven't already.  Make sure it starts up easily and quickly without any whirring or spinning noises, make sure it goes through the gears smoothly, make sure the clutch is in good shape by either giving it the beans and letting out the clutch or putting it in a high gear (4th or 5th) and letting out the clutch.  If it moves forward a bit and then stalls, you're probably in ok shape there.  While you're at it check the oil level with the dip stick (remember you don't thread in the dipstick when you check the oil) and see if he's been properly maintaining it.  Take a look at the coolant reservoir under the rear fender and see if he's been keeping the coolant level inside the margins marked on the overflow reservoir.  While you're back there pop off the seat and airbox lid if he has one, and check the air filter.  See if it's clean or dirty, whether it's been oiled or is dry.  You're hoping for clean and oiled.

If any of these things come out bad, use it as a position to talk him down in price.  If it doesn't start easily, quickly and without any whirring and spinning noises you're looking at a new one-way starter clutch and gear, which is about a 300 dollar fix if you do it yourself and more if you have to pay someone else to do it.  Use your best judgment on these things, it's your money and you're the one who has to be happy.  You don't owe this guy a darn thing, and if you don't feel right about the purchase or if you think his price is too high and he won't come down on it then walk away.  Your friend isn't paying for this, you are, so don't worry about him either.  If he's a good friend he'll respect whatever decision you make and understand that it's not personal, it's business.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions I'm sure the guys here would be glad to help out.

Offline Penrod

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
You covered just about everything I think. I went ahead and bought it from the guy for $3000, but from all the things you mentioned I would say it's in excellent shape.

It starts very quickly, almost as soon as I touch the starter button it's running. No weird noises that I have heard yet. Have only ridden it twice around the yard and haven't gotten out of 3rd gear yet.

Coming from 2 stroke dirt bikes my first impression was "WOW four strokes can do this?!". My friend had ridden it once a couple months ago and he said it was powerful but I had no idea. My only other experience on four wheels is a 350 honda rancher. It's like comparing a tank to a Ferrari.

I have already experienced a near roll over just in my yard so I'm definitely in the market for a wider stance lol.

BUT! So far I absolutely love it, I feel like i've gotten my moneys worth so that makes me feel better. I didn't know what I was buying beforehand so I didn't expect what I've got.

BTW its an 04.

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
we like pictures ;) :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline AJ RAPTOR

• Street Cred: 1
  • 660R let the monster out
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
You covered just about everything I think. I went ahead and bought it from the guy for $3000, but from all the things you mentioned I would say it's in excellent shape.

It starts very quickly, almost as soon as I touch the starter button it's running. No weird noises that I have heard yet. Have only ridden it twice around the yard and haven't gotten out of 3rd gear yet.

Coming from 2 stroke dirt bikes my first impression was "WOW four strokes can do this?!". My friend had ridden it once a couple months ago and he said it was powerful but I had no idea. My only other experience on four wheels is a 350 honda rancher. It's like comparing a tank to a Ferrari.

I have already experienced a near roll over just in my yard so I'm definitely in the market for a wider stance lol.

BUT! So far I absolutely love it, I feel like i've gotten my moneys worth so that makes me feel better. I didn't know what I was buying beforehand so I didn't expect what I've got.

BTW its an 04.

I got an 04 aswell but dont find it tippy to much just move your ass to the inside footpeg and lean to the front lol but I did go out and buy a 0-+3 rear axle from TEAM IND. and set the rear shock to sag a bit more then norm to lower it a bit and set the front shocks up a bit more stiffer to help with the body roll. the only problem i have is riding 2 up the front never stays on the ground EVER. lol
04 Raptor 660
bored to 673cc
11:1 wiseco high compression piston
port and polished head
stage 2 uni airfilter
stage 2 dynojet intake kit
stock pipe guts removed
protaper atv highbend bars
kenda knarly tires
0 - +3 team firestick axle
powermadd handgards
alx and gytr skids and nerfs

theres 2 kinds of riders, thouse that ride up to there skill level and thouse who crash down to it.

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
riding 2-up is a bad idea on a sport quad AJ.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Penrod

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
I took this yesterday after I unloaded it. It's from my cell phone so it's not great. The guy also let me use his trailer and some straps since I picked it up on the way home from work. I was constantly checking the rear view to make sure no one was trying to take it while I was at red lights  LOL.

Thats another thing you could never do on a bike is ride a passenger, I'm looking forward to riding this thing tomorrow.. Can't wait!

Offline AJ RAPTOR

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »

trying saying that when you have a hot blonde asking to go with you :thumbs:...... sorry forgot who I was talking to.
04 Raptor 660
bored to 673cc
port and polished head
stage 2 uni airfilter
stock pipe guts removed
kenda knarly tires
powermadd handgards

theres 2 kinds of riders, thouse that ride up to there skill level and thouse who crash down to it.

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »

trying saying that when you have a hot blonde asking to go with you :thumbs:...... sorry forgot who I was talking to.

I understand that. But that hot blonde won't be so hot when she is a paraplegic.  :lol:

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »

I understand that. But that hot blonde won't be so hot when she is a paraplegic.  :lol:

congrats penrod.

Just make sure she has a helmet AJ.  :thumbs:

Offline Penrod

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »

congrats penrod.

Thanks man!

Pictures of said hot blonde? on a Raptor maybe even?  :nod:

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

congrats penrod.

Thanks man!

Pictures of said hot blonde? on a Raptor maybe even?  :nod:

careful...it might be a hot blonde GUY :lol:

Offline AJ RAPTOR

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
riding 2-up is a bad idea on a sport quad AJ.  :thumbs:

I understand that. But that hot blonde won't be so hot when she is a paraplegic.  :lol:

congrats penrod.

Just make sure she has a helmet AJ.  :thumbs:

Thanks man!

Pictures of said hot blonde? on a Raptor maybe even?  :nod:

careful...it might be a hot blonde GUY :lol:

no worries there were talking about me remember not you so no worry of a guy picture as for the  pics of hot blonde on raptor welll im working on it got all summer after all as for her becoming a paraplegic lol im more worried about being able to breath she holds on so tight lol and not always with just her arms hehehe and yes i wont even go on my raptor without my helment let alone anyone else

and Penrod that is a sharp looking rappy man i always loved the red frame but im not a fan of white plastics but i would love to have the red frame with blue plastics
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:45:44 PM by AJ RAPTOR »
04 Raptor 660
bored to 673cc
port and polished head
stage 2 uni airfilter
stock pipe guts removed
kenda knarly tires
powermadd handgards

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
Well THAT is a nice looking bike if I do say so myself ! :cheers: Welcome to the forum Penrod, where ya from ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Penrod

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
Well THAT is a nice looking bike if I do say so myself ! :cheers: Welcome to the forum Penrod, where ya from ?

Thanks! I'm in north east Florida just west of Jacksonville.

It rained here last night but it's nice and sunny today so I will get some better pictures showing how clean this thing is.