Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 660 pops and snaps and miss's  (Read 2133 times)

Offline fast5point0

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
660 pops and snaps and miss's
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:32 AM »
i have and 2001 660r raptor and when running after alittle bit you get on it and start giving it gas after half throttle it starts missing and has a sputter what do you think it could be ? please let me know i want to go riding this week end

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: 660 pops and snaps and miss's
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »
any mods? half throttle could be the needle position. Or, you have an air leak in the intake boot both causing a lean condition. The 01 660's had that problem. Especially early in production. I had one :) I had zip ties in there helping hold it on.

you could try choking it to see if it changes.

carb rebuild maybe.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
i took it back out to ride after awhile and i tried the choke while i was riding and it wanted to die so i don't think it's the choke it doe's have an aftermarket aluminum air box with a hole that is 4 and 1/16th by 2 and 9/16th and a uni filter

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
did you check the jetting after putting the airbox on? you might just need to bump up your jet size. or move the needle clip down.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:52 AM »
i didn'tput the air box on it. it was already installed when i bought the quad so i don't know if it was done or not i got it running right now with the air box lid off to see if it helps

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
that might make it worse if you are running stock sized jets.

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
see that i don't know i'm still tring to see if it still does it and hasn't so far yet when it cools down i'm going to pull the spark plug out and see what color it is then that will kinda let me know whats going on with it

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
How long ago did you purchase the quad?  Is this problem new or have you had it for a while, or since you bought the quad?  When/how did this happen?  Did it sit for any period of time before this happened or did it just stop running right in the middle of a ride one day?

What jetting are you running, what modifications do you have?

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
i bought the quad 3 days ago from a dealership i test rode it and i beat it when i rode it to see if anything would go wrong the only aftermarket thing's i saw was the aluminum air box and a unifilter and and a aluminum oil resivor thats all i know i called the dealership and they said they would fix it free of charge they say it's jetting but i had it out in the street in front of my house and i was getting on it to see if it would do it again and nothiing happened i let it cool down because i was going to pull he spark plug and found the spark plug wire wasn"t screwed in to the boot tight so i tightened it up and tommorrow i will see if it is ok we will see i will let you know thank you

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Let us know how it goes! :)

welcome aboard also. ;)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
How long ago did you purchase the quad?  Is this problem new or have you had it for a while, or since you bought the quad?  When/how did this happen?  Did it sit for any period of time before this happened or did it just stop running right in the middle of a ride one day?

What jetting are you running, what modifications do you have?

how old are you, what is your favorite song, what is your favorite color, what is your sign?

JEEZ  mad dog. :lol: no further questions your honor.

good luck again fast5point

where are you at, any good riding places?

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
i found that it is electrical when i push down on the back of the quad it go's in to the revlimiter but if you let up on the qaud it is fine i have only had it for 4 days it is at the dealership now getting fixed

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »
Parking brake needed adjustment.

Offline fast5point0

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
what would the parking brake have to do with it?

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »
Because the parking brake has a limiter, designed to kick in if you have the parking brake on, to keep you from trying to drive around with the parking brake on.  Yours was out of adjustment, therefore thinking the brake was on when it wasn't and needed to be adjusted.  Or you were trying to ride it with the parking brake on.