Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: My 2003 raptor 660r wont crank over  (Read 3160 times)

Offline bigdady536

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
My 2003 raptor 660r wont crank over
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
I just baught this four wheeler and have knowledge with hondas but not yamaha.  I hooked up a goo battery and hit the start button but the starter just seems to spin and there doesnt seem to be any cranking of the motor.  Please if anyone has any knowledge on where to look before i rip it apart that would be great.  The guy said the timing chain was no good and the tensioner was bad but i think even if they were bad the motor would at least still crank over when i hit the starter.  Please let me know thanks Mike

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: My 2003 raptor 660r wont crank over
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:51:32 PM »
starter turns freely, but motor does not? Your starter is no longer engaging the gears on the flywheel. If so, time for a one way bearing.  look it up. L&A one way bearing kit. COmes with all you need. ABout $120 I think.

Common problem for 660's especially earlier years.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline bigdady536

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:11:10 PM »
Do I just need the starter clutch, there are two kits, one has a just the starter clutch and runs about the price you were talking about and the other is like 230 which has a gear of some sort as well.  which one were you refering to, and when i take it apart tomorrow how can i tell if that is the problem.  thanks Mike

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »
i think you have to take it apart to see if any gears are shot first. Pull the starter, pretty easy. If ok, pretty sure just the clutch kit can do it. Never did it myself, but saw it done. Took mine out to inspect, and all was well, but wouldn't engage all the time. SO...I traded it in. :lol:

If the gear teeth are shot, then the whole kit. Here is the L&a site.

http://www.raptoroneway.com/

all the diagrams you need.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline bigdady536

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
One more question should i be able to hard start it by pushing it if the starter clutch is bad or will that not be possible.  I would prefer to ask then try, thanks Mike

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
One more question should i be able to hard start it by pushing it if the starter clutch is bad or will that not be possible.  I would prefer to ask then try, thanks Mike

as in pop the clutch...yep!  We've all been there i am sure. :lol: use a lower gear. :thumbs:

Offline kdanderson5

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »
If you are going to pop the clutch to start it, I would recommend doing it in second gear and not first if your are on a loose surface (gravel, etc..) when my battery was bad I would push it down the gravel and try to start it in first and it wouldn't work, it just kept dragging the tires haha. After about 5 or 6 times of pushing it, hopping on and slamming it into first, i finally tried second gear and it fired up every time  :lol:. it gets old pushing it around to start it though, really old if you do it on a trail and there is no down hill close by. The few times I killed it on a trail, I had to push it halfway up a huge ass hill to roll back down and start it. not fun :confused: