Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Interesting info on K&N filters  (Read 7407 times)

Offline r1rider98

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Re: Interesting info on K&N filters
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
I think it even says that in the instructions. ( not to clean it so often)
'07 Raptor 700: Barker duals, Trinity Proflow intake, K&N w/outerwear, no lid, PC3, SE Shocks and Scotts dampner.

Offline tonyrt44

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
  • when you present yourself, you gotta do it right
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:32 AM »
I use the K&N filter in desert, where fine sand, dust storms, and sand storms are normal.(if yoall seen dessert storm operation)
I have never seen any dust, sand, or anything else in the intake tube or engine. I service the filter every 2-3 months using Maxima synth. filter oil

this oil is great and will help tract all dust, not allowing it to pass the filter.
Ranking:   ???

Offline Warren

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
so are we worried that K&N sucks at getting all the dirt or are we worried that K&N doesn't flow as good as they have always said they have.

because if you oil your airfilters there is no way any dirt is getting through them. that's what stops the small peices of dirt anyway. and K&N don't do shit for power unless you have other stuff done. like exhaust or other mods.

so i'm confused as to what we are worried about now?
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
so are we worried that K&N sucks at getting all the dirt or are we worried that K&N doesn't flow as good as they have always said they have.

because if you oil your airfilters there is no way any dirt is getting through them. that's what stops the small peices of dirt anyway. and K&N don't do shit for power unless you have other stuff done. like exhaust or other mods.

so i'm confused as to what we are worried about now?

k&n flows good, doesn't clean as well. I agree, just need to keep that sucker oiled.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 08:07:12 AM »
More great information about K&N.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43209

I did a little test this weeken, and we shall see how it turns out tonight. I cleaned my filter and outerware the night before our ride this weekend. While I was at it I put a light coating of WD-40 on the first 6" of the intake tube.

I'm taking bets on what the tube looks like.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »
Are you betting that it will be full of crap or do you think it will be clean?  I think it will be as clean as any other k&n type setup.

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
Are you betting that it will be full of crap or do you think it will be clean?  I think it will be as clean as any other k&n type setup.

I'll bet it will be as clean as everyother K&N out there :rolleyes:.............(being sarcastic) ??? :rolleyes:

Offline maxx

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Bring a Gun to a Gun fight
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
Are we suppose to assume that a pleated paper is better than a gause cotton filter, goes against everything we've been told.
Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

Offline who else but rk

• Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »

. and K&N don't do shit for power unless you have other stuff done. like exhaust or other mods.

im gonna have to disagree wit hthat. my rappy noticably changed power wise and power-curve wise with the k&n
2008 KTM 250xc-f
pumpkin lover

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
Are we suppose to assume that a pleated paper is better than a gause cotton filter, goes against everything we've been told.

Coming from the 7.3 liter diesel performance world I would 100% agree with that. They had a bad time with K&N filters "dusting" the turbos. When people started using paper filters such as what comes in the Sever Duty Filter kit that ford offers the turbos were in alot better shape. Those sever duty kits that ford offers is what the government ran in all there military vehicles in service in middle east. That right there would tell you about the filtering capibility of paper vs K&N.

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »
So what are you trying to compare this to, paper, foam, other k&n type media or what?

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »
So what are you trying to compare this to, paper, foam, other k&n type media or what?

I'm not really compairing it to anything. All I'm saying is that I like foam filters on motors I dont want to tear down every winter.

Maxx asked about the legitimacy of the test and I gave him my thoughts on the subject.

Its a fact that K&Ns let more than an acceptable amount of debris through.

I have done back to back tear downs on predators with the same intake, one with clamp on twin air and clamp on K&N filters. Both with outerwares. Ridden about the same amount of time, same areas, same oil, same everything.

The cylinder walls on the K&N were in worse shape than the twin air. The debris on the piston was more prevalent on the K&N.

Those are my findings, so take it for what its worth.

Offline maxx

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Bring a Gun to a Gun fight
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:40 AM »
Could be worth alot.
 :thumbs:
Bring a Gun to a Gun fight.

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »
It's like everything else in life. You have to strike a balance that works for you. I want max power, so I go with K&N. If you do the same oiled intake tube test but leave the same dirty filter, the tube will be cleaner. Paper is the best for dry conditions if it's not too restrictive and gets replaced very regular. Again, this assumes that you aren't throwing synthetic filter media into the mix. I don't know about the military stuff because I have only seen the Donaldson (synthetic)filters going overseas. ???
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
More great information about K&N.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43209

I did a little test this weeken, and we shall see how it turns out tonight. I cleaned my filter and outerware the night before our ride this weekend. While I was at it I put a light coating of WD-40 on the first 6" of the intake tube.

I'm taking bets on what the tube looks like.

That was one nasty tube!  :mad:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.